I took a zillion pictures at the Hartman Arboretum today of bees, butterflies, caterpillars, flowers. When I got to looking at the bees on the computer I wondered about their wings. This first bee seems to have very short dark wings....
.....these appear to be longer.
Here are two together. Is this just an illusion from the way they are folded, or is there a difference in the wing size? I know very little about bees. These guys were all over the flowers and particularly liked these Passion Flowers where they rubbed underneath the anthers and covered themselves with the pollen. Sort of a "bee" shower head :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
If you determine the for sure answer about the length of the wings, let me know for I really cannot tell. I look at them one way and think they are different, then I will think that it is just the way the ones are folded back over the bee.
BTW, they are nice pictures!
Rose: That was the way that I felt. Sometimes I think they are the same and then that first one looks so short, I think I'm wrong. It doesn't really matter! I'm just curious.
An interesting series Mary. These Carpenter bees have very small wings while young so that might be the answer to your problem. :)
I was going to say maybe its a baby! :-)
Joan and Eve: Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. What a huge baby it is!
Mary, I am fascinated by bees and learning about the male, female identification was very interesting to me. Lovely set of photos, lovely close-ups.
Denise: Well, I hope I got it right! I read it on the internet somewhere while trying to identify them.
Post a Comment