Friday, August 8, 2008

Skywatch Friday.....

Butterflies...
Sky high..
On the Joe Pye......
There seems to be a theme here :-)
These Joe Pye plants were 7 foot tall or close to it......they certainly towered over me!
It was impossible to not "sky watch" while looking at the butterflies.
The butterlies love them.

There were several Tiger Swallowtails...yellow and black, smaller Silver Spotted Skippers, Monachs, Fritillaries, Hummingbird Moths, bees.......whatever!

I just found them fascinating to watch!

Every plant in this garden at the Hartman Arboretum was a butterfly magnet.

But the pink Joe Pye was the favorite.

A female dragonfly dropped by, also.....Widow Skimmer I think.

I tried to get the smaller butterflies also, but they are harder to catch then the swallowtails.

A Fritillary
There were lots of these little Silver Spotted Skippers as you can see here!

Be sure to stop by Skywatch......use the link on my sidebar....and see more great photos. Thanks to Tom, Sandy, Imac, Klaus and anyone else involved in hosting this site.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That very first photo tricked my eye I thought it was a giant butterfly on a huge tree! I've browsed through your site and your photography is magnificent.
Lisa

VaQueenBee said...

Love these! I especially like the close-ups, but they are all pretty!

Mary said...

Qausi-mom: Thanks! They seemed like trees looking up at them! Tallest flowers I've seen!

Teresa: Thanks! Will check out your site later!

Tommy said...

nice butterfly photos.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

These are very beautiful Mary. Isn't summer wonderful!!

Harry Makertia said...

Insects and blue sky, great combination!

kjpweb said...

Wow! That's something else! So many!
Have to look out for those plants! :)
Great SWF!
Cheers, Klaus

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Mary, even if they make me miss my Virginia garden.

Mary said...

Tommy: Thank you!

Joan: Thanks! It's a little too hot, but today was a better here.

Harry: thanks!

Klaus: I'm not sure I would plant these anywhere unless they have a shorter version. However, they sure attract butterflies.

Wren: Garden's are wonderful, if you have the patience to work in them :-)

DeniseinVA said...

Super photos! I always enjoy visitng to see what treats you have in store for us.

The Birdlady said...

Ahhh...beautiful.

me ann my camera said...

mary, this is a very unique skywatch with a perspective that highlights the butterflies as well.... almost 7 feet tall, that is big!

Mary said...

Denise and Helen: Thanks!

Ann: They really did tower...can't imagine them in a small garden. I was afraid that I was exagerating the height but looked it up on the internet and it said they can be 7 foot. My husband is 6'4" and I knew I was looking a lot higher than I look up to him!

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for plunging me into this gorgeous world of the butterflies!

And thanks for your comment on Writing in Faith. I saw the woman, too!

Mary said...

Sandy: Thanks! YOu have a beautiful blog...both writing and pictures.

Anonymous said...

Really great butterfly images Mary.

abb said...

These butterfly photos are just wonderful! That's more butterflies than I've seen all summer here.

I'm just catching up on my blog hopping today. Work was nutty last week - no time to do much of anything fun.

Louise said...

Lovely insects with a little sky thrown in. I'm truly in awe of people like you who find butterflies not flitting. I almost never see them land, and when they do, it it for about 3 seconds, which is not enough to get the camera.

Kerri Farley said...

I'm really late in getting to your skywatch post! These are lovely! You know I'm a big fan of butterflies! Gorgeous shots!