Saturday, August 9, 2008

Oh, oh....varmint alert

Terrible picture taken through glass with flash.........but this little guy was too cute to not try!
It is smaller then it looks here....I think it was a young one. There was another little one with him that was almost totally black, but it took off the minute I made a noise, so I didn't get its picture. They were almost exact opposites of each other in color. The other one had only a tiny bit of white on the top of its head. They only visit late at night....never in the day time. I really don't like skunks because of the fear of them spraying me or the cats. But otherwise they are less destructive then the raccoons. My son says there were 5 raccoons on the deck last night after we went to bed. Will have to make sure I don't leave excess food around for awhile.

9 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

How lovely!! I had a porcupine feeding on my grass the other night but did not manage to get a picture unfortunately. I love these creatures to come calling.

Mary said...

Joan: I wish that I could love these skunks, because they really are pretty.....but, I hope they go away soon and find some nature food.

kjpweb said...

How cool is that! Though you really have to aggravate them before they even think of spraying... ;)
Cheers, Klaus

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a skumk with that much white fur. We should name this one "Blondie"

me ann my camera said...

This one has a LOT of white on it! I haven't seen one of these creatures for a long time now, and am keeping my fingers crossed that they don't hang around my yard too often. They are cute but oh so stinky at times! I think this is a great picture.

Mary said...

This was the whitest one that I've seen, although most of mine seem to have a large section of white down both sides and the tail. This one is small....I zoomed in some....so maybe the tiny stripe of black on the back will get wider as it grows. The other one was almost totally black! I've never seen one that black and wish I hadn't scared it before I got a picture.

Becky said...

Our skunk family did move on and I haven't seen any of them in several weeks thank goodness. We had a mostly white one too, but haven't seen it either.

abb said...

Cute...but one of his/her cousins sprayed my Stella Dog last week. It was not pretty.

Mary said...

Becky: I do hope they move on and will be trying to clean up the seed mess to discourage them. They eat grubs and are really good animals....but that smell problem is too scary.

Annie: Oh, dear, poor Stella! I feel for you! It they ever spray my cats I don't know what I will do. I keep the cats indoors at night most of the time, especially if we have varmints around. Giving "Mouse"...the mean cat....a bath is not something I even want to think about!