Saturday, August 9, 2008

Turtles at the wetlands and raintree pods....

If anyone remembers the Golden Raintrees that I posted in June, this is what follows the yellow flowers. These pods are lovely when they first come out! I talked to a lady yesterday who has a tree and hers were getting dried and sort of ugly looking now (I took this picture a month ago and forgot it) and she says they are very messy when they fall off. She offered me a small tree from the volunteers growing all over her yard. Hmmmm....tempting if I had a good place where the mess wouldn't matter.This is the post with the flowering Raintrees if you wish to compare.
A drive to New Harmony and this and that...
The turtles are beginning to line the logs again at the wetlands, despite the hot weather.

All decked out in lots of green duckweed.

4 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Love the turtles Mary!! They always look so cheeky to me!!

kjpweb said...

Kewl - if that were in Florida, you could bet some gators be hiding under the duckweed! :)
Cheers, Klaus

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos. I checked out the other post you had on the Raintree as I saw one like this not so long ago at one of the gardens we visited, and thought how interesting it was. They are beautiful when they bloom. Do so enjoy your photographs. Thanks for stopping by again. I feel very fortunate to have the Smithsonians so close to us. You're correct about not being able to see everything in one go. We always like to go back to see what we missed before.

Mary said...

Joan: I think the turtles are cute when they sit there with their little noses in the air. This one looks like he is sailing the log he is on.

Klaus: I'll take my swamp without aligators, thank you! You take the gator pictures and I'll just enjoy them from a distance.

Denise: I thought the raintrees were beautfiul, and like these pods, too, but they get pretty tall and I don't really have room for another tall tree. I hope to get back to the Smithsonian some day.