Monday, August 18, 2008

Hovey Lake and a perfect afternoon....

I've never been to Hovey Lake before even though it is only about 20 miles or so west of us. We drove to Mt. Vernon and on through and began looking for signs. This lake is in the bottomlands very close to where the Ohio River and the Wabash River meet. It is a sportsman's paradise with hunting and fishing. Looked like there would be great canoeing and kayaking possibilities. This is what the lake looks like in general.......large, full of tall trees.

I immediately wished I had a boat and wanted to get out there!

One lone tree

Since I couldn't get out on the water, I shot reflections of trees in the water.

I love the way the trees seem to leave their wavy "signatures" on the water's surface.

Could see this one turtle out on a log fairly far away.

We found a side road that let us walk between the main part of the lake and one of the sloughs. Lots of neat looking stuff there. I liked these flower pods.

Mike was shooting, too and he shot the green ones

I could see the water lilies out in the water and kept thinking about a canoe!

As I walked I could see the lake through the trees on the left side of this road.

I saw this bird in the bushes, but can't identify it.

Mike got a shot of a heron flying overhead far out over the water.

He also shot this dragonfly on his shoe......I call it the "dragon on the dragon"

I spotted the female. There were lots of dragonflies flying along the path in front of us. These are Eastern Pondhawks.

In the sky we saw a sun dog (fire dog, whatever) and Mike got a good shot of it. Lovely color! Later we saw another one.

Driving back home the sunset color was wonderful!

The color kept changing and I kept trying to find places without too much vegetation to shoot pictures while we drove along!
And just to cap off a perfect day, as we entered our road and pulled up beside our little over-loaded apple tree, there was a deer!

We stopped on the road only 10 feet away and I rolled down the window and got two pictures of her! We always leave these apples for the deer, so I'm glad to see that they appreciate it! A car pulled in behind us so we finally moved on, but I noticed that they stopped to look, too.


After putting the car away, I walked back down the road and she was still there. She didn't even seem to mind me! She finally ambled across the backyard and I felt guilty for disturbing her eating.
A great afternoon for sure!

13 comments:

Eve said...

Thanks for the great trip Mary...love the night sky!! That silly deer looks like she's talking to you!

Becky said...

What a wonderful day you must have had! Your pictures are so beautiful. Thanks so much for taking us along. I just love the sky photos, and that Firedog is spectacular. I would love to see one.
We have lots of apples under our trees too but so far no deer yet.

me ann my camera said...

I was enjoying the lake and the photos as I was scrolling along when suddenly your beautiful sunsets took me totally by surprise. They are just lovely! What a wonderful place that seems to be and like you I would want to be out on the lake. No matter how much a nuisance deer become, they manage to retain their beautiful attraction and whenever I see one I forgive them for having eating my fine growth of string beans this summer.

Cicero Sings said...

Yes, even though one gets totally annoyed at those rascally deer one still can't help but like them and get excited about seeing them!

I loved your signature picture of the trees especially.

Mary said...

Eve: LOL! She does look like she is talking!

Becky: I called it a Firedog, but think that Sundog is more correct, so I went back and changed that. It was pretty neat. I've seen other people post them, but this was the first I had seen. Our apples aren't really good for eating...small and spotty because we don't spray them. I figure the deer, raccons and whatever can eat them and maybe stay away from the feeders :-)

Ann: It really was a great sunset...just kept changing and changing! I seldom see deer, so I was thrilled to have one there in the yard. I know they come sometimes, but usually I don't see them at all.

Cicero: Deer are such gentle looking creatures, I never understand why anyone wants to hunt one...but will not get into that :-) The light was perfect for seeing the reflections of the trees on the water and I took more pictures of that than anything else.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lovely afternoon!! I do not know where to begin commenting on all the great pictures but the sky shots and the green dragon stick in my mind. LOL!! Mike is a dragon?? LOL!! Oops!! Dangerous talk that!! He might not mow the lawn next time!! :)I would not mind being out on a boat there too and I love the reflection shots! That does look like a well fed deer for sure!! And I am positive he/she loves the apples. Thanks for sharing Mary.

kjpweb said...

Oh yes! That's my kind of place!
Wonderful! Make sure to go back and show more!!!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

That's a beautiful place, and you documented your visit so beautifully.

brucesc said...

One of your best days ever, Mary!! And you said there was not much to shoot the other day. Your arty tree/water shots are lovely. Great sunset and super deer captures too.

I meant to say that I liked your squirrel Olympic event from yesterday too--very cute captions. I have disqualified all my squirrels here for false starts and cheating, btw.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! Bruce, seems like those squirrels by you were like our SA competitors...non-starters!!

John Theberge said...

Looks like that would be a great to explore with my kayak.

Emily said...

I really like those pods! Do you know what the plant is called?

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks! Mike asked me why he was a dragon....I really just meant he was very big in comparison to the little dragon :-) He only mows the dam, anyway.

Klaus: If we had a boat, I would go back for sure. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere and Mike says to look out for hunters later.

Bruce: Thanks! Maybe your squirrels will be ready for the next Olympics :-) Cheating??

John: Yes, I thought of all the kayak owners with jealousy :-)

Emily: No, I don't know what they were.