Saturday, August 9, 2008

This and That on the home front.....

The Jewelweed is in bloom. We always call it "Touch Me Not" because of the way the swollen seed pods burst if you touch them. When the kids were little they ran around popping them :-) This plant is suppose to stop the itch of poison ivy if you rub it on the rash.

This cute little titmouse is convinced that the ant guard is his private cup and likes to visit regularly.

He seems to have an itch of some sort. Maybe he found one of the ants :-)

The downys come every day. Yesterday there were 4 trying to get to the suet at the same time, so I hurried out and put up a couple more cakes.

I've been "mooned" by a lot of birds, but this was the first time a Hummingbird mooned me. Just as I started to take his picture, he decided to launch himself.

The male hummingbird has taken over the feeders that the female was guarding. I never seem to get him with the light on his red throat. It always amazes me how black it looks without the sun on it!

I get a couple butterflies at home, too, but nothing like Thursday at the arboretum!

12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What great information on the Jewelweed Mary. I love bits of information like this. I love the humming bird and the butterfly.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Mary, I have added a link to Joan's Recipes with a conversion tables for all recipes.

kjpweb said...

Wonderful shots. I think, I have to start bribing my songbirds, too.
Was thinking of Pralines!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

Great post! I particularly loe the last one - the colors of the flowers, leaves and butterfly against the gray wood are lovely (you should "paint" that one.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary
Great that the 'touch me not' plants are useful as well as beautiful. I see that you have lantana growing, that's one of my favourites. I have a pale yellow-white one in flower at the moment in my garden.

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks...will check the recipes again.

Klaus: Pralines? You may get more than songbirds...sounds good!

Helen: Glad you are back. If you are talking about painting it in Photoshop or something, I've never done anything like that and don't have Photoshop yet.

Jenny:I like the touch-me-nots and have tried it on poison ivy. I'm not very susceptible to poison ivy, so I'm not a very good test subject. I usually only get 1-2 blisters even if I pull it by hand. I like Lantana in all of it's colors. This is in pots and I had some white and some purple also. The butterflies seem to like it a lot.

brucesc said...

Your bird pictures are so good, Mary! Wonderful stop action on the hummer!

The Riverbum said...

So that is what it is called...jewelweed. I have taken photos of it before, but never knew what it was. And the bit about it helping with poison oak is a bonus. I am part of that lucky few who aren't allergic to poison oak, but I have plenty of family who itch after just looking at it.

Mary said...

Bruce: Thanks! I took a lot of better hummer shots while you were on vacation, so you didn't see them.

Riverbum: Thanks for stopping by! Jewelweed has a pretty flower, when you focus on it, instead of the rest of the plant....one of those sort of ignored "weeds". I can't guarantee about the poison ivy/oak cure, but anything is worth a try when you itch :-)

Becky said...

My hummers had gone for a while, but are back. I imagine they will be migrating soon.
That little Titmouse is so cute. I only have them in the winter.
We have loads of Touch-Me-Nots everywhere on the trails.

Mary said...

Becky: I get Titmice all year..one of my favorite winter visitors. Touch-me-nots seem very hardy!

Kerri Farley said...

I Love your birds and butterfly!!
I've never been mooned by a hummingbird :)