Sunday, August 3, 2008

Squirrel Sunday.....

Well, since I've been gone all week, naturally I have no Indiana squirrels to post!These little guys are Ashland, Kentucky squirrels and they are a lot more lively then my Fox Squirrels back home! No wonder the rest of you always post such playful squirrel pictures while I always have pictures of lazy squirrels lying around or eating all my bird seed!

There were two of them and they were chasing each other up and down the tree and it was really hard to keep up with them!


I guess he pooped out here for a minute!


A pretty little grey squirrel.....wish I could take him home.


He'd have my Fox Squirrels up and about in no time just to protect their food supply from this more obviously fit Eastern Grey Squirrels!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure your fox squirrels aren't just fat and lazy individuals? :) The ones on our nearby college campus can - and do - move very quickly and quite often. You should see them make tracks across the diag if they recognize a pigeon, err ... squirrel feeding human.

Becky said...

More great squirrel shots. Those look smaller than yours. Still, I wish we had some.

Mary said...

Wren: You may be right! I'll have to provide less food and get them in shape. I'm sure they play around in the woods and up in the trees, too, but I seldom see that behavior in my yard....possibly because I have cats, even though the cats are inside most of the day and night.

Becky: You want the squirrels and I want chipmunks :-) I wish I knew why there are no chipmunks around this area.

Helen: No matter what breed of squirrel, they are entertaining at all times.

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy your squirrel photos. They are one of my favorite animals. I expect you're glad to get back home, though I had a great time arm-chair traveling with you. Your photos were wonderful.

abb said...

I so enjoy your Squirrel Sundays! Your photos are always so eye-catching.

Must look up side by side pics of the Fox and Eastern Grey - can't say I know the difference.

Eve said...

I don't know whether to be happy or sad I don't have squirrels here very often!!

sandy said...

Funny to see him all stretched out along the tree trunk!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Cute! In a couple of the pictures he looks like he is wearing a green leaf crown!
--JB

kjpweb said...

Fun pics! Thank you for sharing!
Cheers, Klaus

Mary said...

Denise: Thanks! It's good to be home.

Annie: The fox squirrel is the one with the orange belly and more orange in the tail, and the coat is more brown. They are also the largest squirrels....up to 27 inches according to Wikepedia. The Eastern Grey have white on the belly and a more grey coat. They are also generally smaller.

Eve: Some people love them and some hate them. I figure I can feed both them and the birds, so I don't mind them.

Sandy: I think that is one of their funniest positions. Maybe they think they are invisible when they stretch out :-)

JB: A very small green leafy crown..perfect :-)

Klaus: Thanks!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I would not change your squirrels for those at home...they are so cute trying to steal food from the feeders!! LOL!!

Wendy said...

I love that first photo especially! We have a couple varieties of squirrels here, but don't seem to see them as much as chipmunks. Have you checked out my photographic series on them? (Just search the blog for "chipmunks". There's lots!)

I'm glad you like my bookMobile posts! Books are a very important part of my life and I like to support our local library as much as possible.