
The downys still come every day.

OK....apparently Goldfinches eat ANYTHING! Now they are picking at the flowers on this Honeyvine.

If it has a seed.......they'll try it.

My Wren showed up briefly......a pleasant surprise! I hadn't seen any of them for awhile.

Obedience Plant......I used to have a lot of these, but they have gotten choked out by other stuff or died for some other reason, because now I only have one or two.

I like they way they twist and turn to get to the sun and appreciate their cheerful color in the late summer when everything else seems to be dying.

The Live-Forever is just beginning to turn color. They attract a lot of bees, butterflies and other critters, so this year I will be watching them with the heightened awareness that blogging has brought to me.

One little white butterfly found them already!

A pretty moth in the grass. Don't know its name.

Cicada shells everywhere! Even on the old rusty basketball goal pole!

I remember as a kid how we would go around collecting them. Somehow it wasn't as much fun today......must be because my "best friend", Vicky wasn't here to do it with me.

Hopper in the grass. I seem to stir them up everywhere I walk both at home and at the wetlands.
9 comments:
I love your little wren...I think they are my favorite bird. I love their song and I love their personality.
Birds, bees, flowers - YES; cicadas - YUK!
Rose: I love them too, but this year I had 2 experiences of ones that "squawked" at me at the top of their lungs! One was trapped in our house and woke me from the skylight over my head and the other kept flying into our garage and squawking so loud you could hear it in the house...another was following it. I thought it might be a young one that was sort of "lost".
Helen: I seldom see the actual cicadas....just the shells stuck all over the trees. They can be very loud at times!
That color on the Obedience plant is so pertty. Very different. I've never heard of them.
My loyal birds are still here too, Downeys, Goldfinches, sparrows, Chipping sparrows, Mourning Doves,and the ever present House Finches. The Chickadees are beginning to return. I don't know where they all went, but they look ragged..
We don't have Cicada's here. Maybe too far North ? We do have the Katydid, and they make lots of noise. Also are tons of grasshoppers. So many different colors too.
I stumbled on your blog and I'm enjoying it very much. I love your bird photos and your kitties. I laughed out loud at the squirrel photo.
This is a very enjoyable site to spend some time.
Marnie
They are really pretty flowers Mary. Plus of course the butter and the rest of the insects catch my eye first. :)
Hi Mary! I'm hoping I can get this comment through, I tried on your thistle post twice and my computer froze both times!! We don't get the cicadas here but I can't walk out there this year without a grasshopper flying up...I almost ate one the other day!! Oh the thistle....I spend an aweful lot of time taking them out of my fingers!!
There are a myriad of grasshoppers in our area at the moment, and you are right, every step one takes sends a flurry of them before! Mostly we have small ones.
Becky: I had to look up those Obedience Plants to be sure of their name. I've always liked them. Don't know about cicadas and how north they go. Hmmmm.
Rose and Lilacs: Welcome! You have a beautiful blog.
Joan: Well, I have bees and butterflies and caterpillars coming up.....just for you :-)
Eve: Ouch! I very carefull avoid touching them, since I only have one to worry about at my house:-)
Cicero: I would love to catch the grasshoppers with their wings open when they leap and fly, but I'm not that good with a camera. Wouldn't even know how to try. We have lots of little ones, too, but a few very large ones.
Post a Comment