I know those words don't mean anything to all of you, except to say that I'm home. However they happen to be the first line of our State Song, so I thought that made them even more appropriate for today :-)
For anyone who hasn't been seeing butterflies this year, apparently they are all hanging out in Kentucky, because I saw dozens of them every day! I haven't had time to try to identify these but wanted to post something other than just words.
These were all located on some flowers in a garden at the Heaven Hill distillary.
I was so distracted by the butterflies that I almost skipped the tour.
This looks like two different types and I didn't get a very good picture.
I have at least 3 more vacation posts.....Bardstown and civil war stuff, the distillaries, and all the quilt barn trail (will explain that later)!
I have at least 3 more vacation posts.....Bardstown and civil war stuff, the distillaries, and all the quilt barn trail (will explain that later)!
It was a very nice vacation.
Now I need a week of rest to recover from it and catch up on all of your blogs that I might have missed :-)
14 comments:
Beautiful butterflies! My husband grew up in Evansville, IN - is that anywhere close to you? When his parents were living, we went regularly, but haven't been now in several years.
I really enjoyed your vacation log.
Helen...I live in Evansville, IN! Small world! My husband was born and raised here, but I came here to college and stayed.
I am so far behind on everyone's blogs...I will just comment now that I can tell I have got to go back and look through your past few posts...I see a lot of stuff I like. and the one with the tobacco in it sure takes me back to childhood...the picture you show shows it at the stage where it needs to be topped. I have had to top my share of it...topping means going down each row and cutting the bloom off each plant. I usually had to reach as far above my head as I could reach to top it...
Glad to know you've seen butterflies - there's been a dearth of them here in the Northeast. Vacations are nice, but isn't it good to be home?
I would sure like to be in one of those places with so many butterflies! I think one of the butterflies is a Variegated Fritillary. Welcome back home!
Rose: That is fascinating to know about the tobacco. I really know little about how it is grown. Must have been a hot and sweaty job.
Annie: I've noticed that several have mentioned not seeing many buterflies, so I was surprised to see so many while in Kentucky....but there were lots of meadows full of Queen Ann's Lace and other wild flowers, so maybe they know where the good stuff if found.
Ann: I always think of you when I see butterflies. Wish I had you along for identification. I need to buy a butterfly guide book. I don't normally see so many. I think there were other smaller ones that I misssed getting pictures of. Just too much over-load for my senses at one time and too much moving about from place to place.
So that's where all the butterflies went. Glad you got to see them and send us back some beautiful shots.
Welcome home.
What a nice welcome home!
Becky and Wren: It's nice to be back home and I certainly enjoyed myself on the trip. The only thing I never see enough of on vacation are birds...but that is mostly a time factor when traveling and not sitting still long enough in the right places :-) I saw birds at distance often, but didn't get photos.
Beautiful butterflies and that one in particular, wings all stretched out. How come those vacations can cause us to rest up later..ha..
Always nice to be home no matter how many wonderful things one saw or did! I always liked to leave myself at least a day at home before I had to return to work. Now I don't have to go to work and it is wonderful!
Nicely done shots!
me ann my camera is spot on - Variegated Fritillaries! All of them, actually. They are relatively easy to identify, because they have a break in the dotted pattern in the fore wing. 2 big spots, an empty field, then 3 bog spots. All other Fritillaries do have no empty space inbetween. ;)
Cheers, Klaus
Sandy: I don't know....I often am more tired when I get home, but at least I had fun while I was wherever I was :-)
Cicero: We usually try to leave a day of rest from our vacation, too. Poor Mike has to fly out of town on Monday for another trip...no rest for some.
Klaus: Thanks for the identification. Is that one on the right in the bottom picture the same as the others? It looked more yellow, but maybe it is a trick of light. And one of the others looked tan. I'm going to find myself a good butterfly guide right now on Ebay or somewhere!
Wow Mary!! These are beautiful butterflies!! I know the feeling of needing a week to recover from a holiday. LOL!! We always tend to cram so much into them, but they are enjoyable.
Post a Comment