Friday, May 2, 2008

The woods at St. Paul's nature preserve...

I really don't know what photos to select to post. How does anyone ever select just one photo when they post each day?? I thought this sign was very appropriate. I stood still often on this walk and just looked and listened. All I heard was one very loud woodpecker and the silence of the woods around me.






The creek bed ran through shale and there were interesting outcroppings and broken bits everywhere.





Ferns, mosses, wildflowers were poking up everywhere and covering the forest floor, the tree roots and the banks of the creek with beauty. Even the poison ivy looked beautiful among the rest of the plants :-)











This Mayapple leaf was trapped by the dead leaf it grew up through. After I photographed it, I "set it free" :-)



9 comments:

abb said...

I for one am very happy you don't choose just one photo. They're all beautiful and tell a story of their own. What a beautiful place you were in!

Mary said...

Annie: Thanks! I always seem to have about 100 "favorite" shots and when I have to start eliminating it gets so difficult. It's a very peaceful woods and not very far from my house, so I plan to go back more often....however I did get poison ivy on my arm while I was there and it is driving me nuts!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

What a wonderful walk, Mary. I love how you captured the details along the way. This looks like a peaceful place and one I would enjoy visiting lots!

Mary said...

Sandpiper: Yes, you would like walking there. It's a very lovely and quiet woods.

sandy said...

Another good walk about and great photos. I always enjoying seeing your photos and your unique perspective.

sandy

The Birdlady said...

That was a lovely series - I really felt as though I was walking along..you have a pretty impressive rose-breasted grosbeak too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Mary said...

Sandy: Thank you! It's fun taking pictures of differnt things on a walk.

Birdlady: Thanks! That was last years in the sidebar, but I'm beginning to see this years and hope to get some photos soon.

Kingsdowner said...

The photos give an interesting slant to what must be a beautifully tranquil place.

Mary said...

Kingsdowner: It is a pretty place and very close to where I live. I posted wildflowers from the same place a couple of days earlier.