
We went car shopping on Saturday and I was surprised to find out that the car lots all seemed to have small retention ponds on their property and they were teeming with wildlife. If I had known that I might have been more willing to go look at cars! These geese were all snoozing in the side yard of this car dealer.

The saleman told me they had a mother duck with babies out back in the pond and I lost all interest in cars and went to take pictures :-) They were so cute and a nice little brood of 10!


This one little guy seemed a bit over-eager or something.....maybe he was ready to see if he could fly??
Well we didn't buy a car......but are still looking. I'll definitely take the camera with me if I go back to the eastside of town! never expected so much bird activity among the urban sprawl of the shopping district. I even saw a heron sitting on a small pond at an apartment complex, but couldn't stop for a picture.....drat!

Back home, we pulled into the driveway to see this......2 doves sitting on top of the fountain....covering the hole where the water comes out.......weird, but photogenic!

My spirea bushes are blooming.....I just love the cascades of blooms. They used to bloom at the same time as the lilac and really looked pretty together.

The Catbird decided to play "peek-a-boo" from behind this branch and after several tries I finally caught him with his head out!

The male Cowbird showed up today at the feeder where his mate has been feeding regularly.

I'm always amazed at how large and solid this guys bill looks! It actually makes his head look smallish. Maybe it is a fairly young woodpecker.

And as the sun sinks in the west, I retire the camera for the day.
10 comments:
Oh, you just never know what you'll see when you go car shopping! The babies are just sooo cute!! You've had a busy day and your sunset shot ending your day is stunning!
Aunt B: I certainly like the "price" of the ducks and geese compared to the cars!
Your sunset would be a beautiful entry for Friday's Skywatch; I think I might enter one this week. As well as looking at birds we are also car shopping. When we get to the car lot, today or tomorrow, I shall also have to take notice of my surroundings too, just in case I find some great surprises there; as you did! The mother duck and babies are all very sweet!
I like your images of the Mallard with the little ones. That's one way to make car shopping a more pleasant experience.
We just got 3 bubblers installed in our pond (to help with algae build-up) and haven't had any ducks since. I do hope they come back! Lovely pictures as always.
Me and My Camera: I am surprised the sunset gets so many comments, because I didn't think it was very good....I have to shoot over the top of the neighbor's house or around one side of it and never get a real clear shot of more than just the top of the trees! Shopping for cars is the pits....they are soooo expensive now! I don't know how anyone affords a new one....we are looking at dealer cars with a few miles already on them. sigh.
Mike: Thanks! The ducks made it better, but we still have to get a car, so maybe I had better pay more attention to them next trip :-)
Annie: Bubblers sound neat! We have "grass carp" that clean the pond. I've been seeing it stick its head up and have tried to get a picture, but the water is too murky right now. You probably just startled the ducks by adding something new and they will come back.
I have a small fountain where the water gently burbles out the top. The little birds (even a robin one day) sit on top and let that water burble up around them.. They LOVE it (the look of bliss on their faces is amazing). I call it the bird spa.
Cicero Sings: That's a good description! It is odd how they like the water bubbling through their feathers. You need to take some pictures of them in the "spa" for us :-)
You are a good reported just like my mom! You both take pictures wherever you go....even at a car lot? Nice bird shots!
--JB
Lovely series - the ducklings are adorable - and the sunset gorgeous.
Post a Comment