Monday, May 26, 2008

New Harmony.....part 1

New Harmony, Indiana has been the site of two utopian societies in its past. The Harmonists, led by Johann George Rapp came first and later sold the city and moved to Pennsylvania. The second group led by Robert Owen and William Maclure established an "equality communue" experiment. There are a couple of web sites with more on the history. This is one: http://www.usi.edu/hnh/history.asp


Today the town is a lovely small town located on the Wabash river that is home to many who are interested in arts and nature. There is a strong stress on "tranquility" and peace and harmony. There are 2 labyrinths.....one old and one new....... and other sites that are designed for spiritual seekers. It's a town with an interesting mix of old and modern. I will have to split these pictures into at least 2 posts and didn't begin to take all that is there.

The Roofless Church......one of New Harmony's most famous structures. My daughter was married here and there are weddings here constantly throughout the year.



This statue in the center is called "Descending of the Holy Spirit"


Up in the roof, there were a lot of birds while we were there......probably sparrows, but I couldn't tell for sure.


Another statue on the grounds.


The town is full of old buildings, but many are still private and behind stone walls. Some can be toured, but we didn't do a tour on this trip. This is the Old Granary.


The top of a private home....I believe the one originally owned by Owen, who had a connection with several naturalists of the time.



Same house.

The Rappite Cemetery.....no tombstones, just grass.

Outside the walls of the Rappite Cemetery


Old cabins


Part of a garden at the old house that follows. Lovely iris!




This photo shows the old and the new. The structure in the background is the Atheneum and acts as the visitor center and place to begin tours. Very modern next to these old cabins! It looks out towards the Wabash River, which is just right behind it and currently out of its banks.


I saw this Red-headed Woodpecker, but could not get close enough for a good shot! This is a woodpecker that never comes to my house and that I have seldom ever seen. I really wanted a better picture! (frustration)


This modern Cathedral Labrynth is patterned after the floor of a church in Chartres, France. (hope I got that right) It is considered a very meditative place and people walk the path and pray or meditate as they walk. My niece and I walked it to the center, but then left. Hard to meditate with other people there :-)


There is so much more to see.....I have pictures of a beautiful garden at a house, and also a "memory garden" that was very peaceful, and the old cemetery where I went looking for birds! Will post more tomorrow or at a later date. Plan to go back to see more peonies in bloom and look for more birds and take the guided tour of the buildings.




These 2 pictures were added at the last minute to this post, because I forgot them! This is the hedge layrinth that is on the outskirts of town. It is about to be torn out and replanted because it was planted as a maze with dead ends and not as a true layrinth like it was suppose to be that led to the temple in the center. People have made short-cuts through it for years because of the dead-ends and frustration. We'll see if this improves it. It is suppose to make it more accurate to what it was suppose to have been to begin with.

8 comments:

abb said...

What a lovely part of our country! Is it a "working" town or "museum" town? Looking forward to the rest of your pics!

me ann my camera said...

This must be an intriguing place to visit and it has so many peaceful, tranquil features. Your daughter's wedding in the roofless church must have been very beautiful; what a wonderful concept and fascinating building. I am curious too to know if it is a tourist or museum town, or is it a community where people live?

Mary, you can check out more pictures of a male Common Yellowthroat at:
http://naturetales.blogspot.com/2007/06/common-yellowthroat.html

sandy said...

These are great pics and this is what I love about blogs. I get to see things from first hand accounts that I would never know about...very cool.

sandy

Cicero Sings said...

A very intriguing place to visit ... I see I'm repeating "me Ann my camera"! ... but it really does look intriguing. We both love to do explores like that but haven't "gotten out and about" these last couple of years. I think it is because we just moved here 2 1/2 years ago now, and are content, for the moment, to sit and enjoy what we have right here!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone....I'm sorry I am such poor historian! I added a post about this one that I hope answers some of the questions you asked.

Mary said...

If you have ever played with the Google Earth program you can see the town in closeup there! If you have never done Google Earth....look for your own house...it's pretty amazing, but almost scary (big brother is watching!)

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

What a wonderful place this is!!

Mary said...

Sandpiper: It is a very lovely little town.