Well......I know as little about lizards as I do turtles......but he sure was cute!
The best picture probably would have been when my "scaredy" cat, Hopey, saw it disappear under the boards and realized that she had missed it! She looked at the spot where it was last seen and sniffed the place over and over convinced it would come back! .......which it did once she went in the house.
Judging by the size of this lady, and considering that your boards are probably four inches wide, I would say that this is a female five-lined skink, Eumeces fasciatus
The females are less colorful and not as distinctly striped as the males-they also have that orangish or rusty coloration on their jowls. Great lizard. I wish we had these around Columbus! I've only seen five-lined skinks in areas that are fairly well off the beaten path, like southern Ohio and some of our larger natural areas in other parts of the state.
Sandy and Me and My Camera: I've seen little lizards or skinks dart out from under this wooden walk for years, but this was the first time it ever came out and posed so nicely for me.
Tom: I knew I could count on you! That is why you deserve the award that I am passing on to you! I looked up skinks and looked at pictures, but didn't find a picture that was totally like it. I figured that Indiana and Ohio surely have a lot of the same flora and fauna.
I've been lifted up on Your wings of love, Raised from the grave of sin and despair, I can soar to the top of Your holy mountain Your wings of grace will carry me there. I will humble myself in Your sight, And bow low to the King of Kings! And wait in joy and hope and peace..... As I'm lifted on grace filled wings. (by Mary Freeman)
Christian, wife, mother, quilter, reader, writer, photographer. My blog title originated when all my blogs were one. Faith, Fabric and Photos is my main blog.
16 comments:
I thought I'd seen a lot of different lizards, but this one has me stumped! Neat pictures.
Gosh, grandmother, what big TOES you have! Very nice pictures - Love the squirrel in your last blog.
He's pretty! I found a bunch of different skinks in my book that look similar, but like you, I don't know lizards and turtles either.
He's a unique-looking guy! Cute story, Mary!
Thanks everyone. I'm sure someone will wander by that knows lizards. Maybe I need to ask Tom in Ohio....he knows this stuff well!
Interesting visitor you had there. I know nothing about lizards, but he did not appear to be camera shy.
Mike: Well, I'm inside the house looking out, so he didn't feel threatened.
Oh that is a lovely fat little lizard you have there Mary!! An a cute squirrel too!!
Saphotographs: thank you! I thought the lizard was really cute, too and he usually hides under the walk and I don't get to see him so closely.
I love lizards...great photos.
Wow... it sure has big feet! I know nothing about lizards but it looks cute.
Mary-
Judging by the size of this lady, and considering that your boards are probably four inches wide, I would say that this is a female five-lined skink, Eumeces fasciatus
The females are less colorful and not as distinctly striped as the males-they also have that orangish or rusty coloration on their jowls. Great lizard. I wish we had these around Columbus! I've only seen five-lined skinks in areas that are fairly well off the beaten path, like southern Ohio and some of our larger natural areas in other parts of the state.
Tom @ Ohio Nature
Sandy and Me and My Camera: I've seen little lizards or skinks dart out from under this wooden walk for years, but this was the first time it ever came out and posed so nicely for me.
Tom: I knew I could count on you! That is why you deserve the award that I am passing on to you! I looked up skinks and looked at pictures, but didn't find a picture that was totally like it. I figured that Indiana and Ohio surely have a lot of the same flora and fauna.
Nice lizaed photos. I've never seen a wild lizard in Maine, I don't think we have any that occur naturally.
John: That's interesting! I guess I always assume things that I see are everywhere in some form.
Mary- This could be a broad-headed skink- it really looks big compared to the five-lined skinks I saw in Southern Ohio...
Tom
Post a Comment