Friday, May 16, 2008

Family Mimidae.....

"Often called 'mimic thrushes'. Excellent songsters; some mimic other birds. strong-legged; usually longer-tailed than true thrushes, bill usually more decurved."......Roger Tory Peterson from "A Field Guide to the Birds East of the Rockies".


Well....I've got all 3 of them listed for this family at the moment, although no good pics of the Brown Thrasher yet. The other two are more "year round", but I don't see the Thrasher until this time of year.

Brown Thrasher ... Toxostoma rufum

Gray Catbird... Dumetella Carolinensis

Northern Mockingbird ... Mimus polyglottos

They are an interesting family of birds. Both the Mockingbird and Thrasher seem to glare at me all the time. The Catbird has a bit more "benign" expression and a gentler look. In all three I see no difference noted for male or female. They all like the suet, since I don't provide worms or bugs. I've tried putting out fruit but they usually ignore it....I don't know what kind to offer. I've tried apples, oranges, and grapes. Any suggestions?

11 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Hi Mary - nice; my brown thrashers aren't as shy as that one - but they stay on the ground most of the time, and if I get down level with them, I just might never get back up! lol

Mary said...

Birdlady: Mine has not been shy in the past and I even had babies last year....but that was before my tree died and left them all feeling "exposed" at the suet feeders. It's amazing what a difference leaves make. I'm hoping he will get less shy as the season goes on. I've only spotted him in the last couple of days and he isn't used to me yet.

John Theberge said...

Great shot of the gray catbird. I get them in my backyard but they're so secretive it's hard to get a decent photo.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Nice bird shotss again. I like the catbird. Do you think the catbird would like me? :^)
--JB

Mary said...

John: Thanks! If I'm really quiet and sneaky they all come to the tree by the front door sooner or later :-)

JB: I think that the catbird would love to peck you on the head and send you packing if you came near him.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is amazing how similar some of your birds are to ours. The thrush looks like the one we call a Kurricane Thrush. reat pics Mary.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! That should be "great" and not "reat"

Mary said...

Saphotographs: Don't you hate it when you make typos? I feel like I need to correct them so people won't think I'm stupid, but yet everyone makes them! I would like to see your Kurricane Thrush...post a picture! None of these are actually thrushes. I never see thrushes, but am sure we have some.

sandy said...

Great photos Mary. I sure can't help you because although I love birds and photos, I don't really know much about any of them.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Wonderful pictures, Mary! I have never been able to get a picture of a brown thrasher. They are soooooooooo shy here! I have a couple of catbirds here and the only thing that seems to interest them is the suet.

Mary said...

Sandy: That's Ok...I don't know much either, except their names.

Sandpiper: Thanks! Suet is easier than anything else anyway.