Monday, May 26, 2008
New Harmony.....more than just history.
Thank you all for the interest so far in my New Harmony post below! I'm not good at reporting "history"....I just like looking and seeing things, but don't get the details like I should. This is a real every day town...very small. It has all this history behind it, but most of the homes are privately owned and there are even newer ones, but they are required to "fit in" with the city look. It must be difficult to live places like this where tourists constantly come and gape and take pictures! The actual town center is a small crossroads with one traffic light and a few old buildings that have become art galleries, antiques, used bookstore, a couple touristy shops, a tiny market, an old tavern, etc. It's in such a nook of natural beauty that it looks like a wonderful peaceful place to live, if you don't want a lot of modern conveniences at your doorstep. Anyone familiar with Sally Roth, syndicate nature columnist, book author, gardener, birder, etc.......she lives in New Harmony. I tried to find a web site link for her, but didn't find a good one.....she has dozens of books about birds, gardens, etc.. There are a lot of buildings and such that I did not get to the day I was there and I plan to go back. There are lots of art events that take place there....small art gallary openings, plays, day of painting in the streets, etc. I can't begin to tell you everything about this quaint little town! I will be posting more pictures the next couple of days. Hope that helps a little!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! These are stunning! My mom used to make quilts, too. I love them! Unfortunately, my fingers don't cooperate anymore when I try to sew.
Sandpiper: Mine don't always cooperate either :-) But I just enjoy the process and it is the closest I've ever come to doing something "art"!
Post a Comment