Friday, March 27, 2009

SkyWatching in New Harmony, Indiana....

Today is SkyWatch, and these shots were taken on Wednesday at New Harmony. The day was a mixture of sun and clouds, but mostly it was a good sky day.
This is the sky over the bridge to southern Illinois across the Wabash River.

The sky there also included this lovely Flicker up on a dead tree! He is right in front of his hole and he was singing the whole time we were there. I took a video to catch the song and will post it if anyone is interested.

He moved up on top before moving to another tree to get away from me and the camera :-)

A Turkey Vulture in the sky....coming in!
Besides looking at the sky, I enjoyed looking down at the water around the trees that has not receded yet. It made for some lovely reflections and odd angles.
Symmetry
Legs and torso?

Further back

The sky peeking around this cute little barn and magnolia tree.

I loved this tree with its green decoration and that intriguing hole in the bottom!

Some odd bark
Spring Beauties!
I'll leave you at the steps of the old cemetery in New Harmony. We drove up to the top and walked around taking photos of graves. I'll post those over in my This, That and The Other Thing blog for those who like cemetery wanderings.
For more SkyWatch Friday click on the icon on the sidebar! Thanks to all the great hosts of SkyWatch Friday!

30 comments:

Kim said...

Great photos all of them. Love the bridge and the old cemetery.

Kelly said...

Hi Mary...I've been to New Harmony, Indiana! Lovely town...been across the Wabash River too (must admit I like saying the name Wabash, don't know why)...
Love the Flicker photos and would love to hear its song. The blue barn with the pink magnolia is pretty.

Shelley said...

Those flicker photos were fabulous! I love watching those guys dig for bugs! And also that blue barn was so pretty - almost looked like a little cottage!

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots of the Flicker Mary.
The torso shot is a bit risqué {:)

Eve said...

Ha Ha!! Woops...that feller needs pants!!
I love all the spring color for sure!

John Theberge said...

I'm jealous of all that greenery and open water.

Mary said...

Kallen: Thanks!

Kelly:Cool! I don't live very far from New Harmony, if you are ever this way again. It's a great place to visit and I have posted other photos from there in the past.

Shelley: The Flicker was singing and watching over his hole in the tree. The little blue barn did look like a small house.

Roy: Oh, dear...I didn't mean it that way.

Eve: You and Roy are too observant.

John: It will come and you will be out in your kayak!

Louise said...

These are all terrific photos. I love the texture in the sky in the first one,and I really like the tree trunks in the water, too!

Mary said...

Louise: Thanks!

DeniseinVA said...

I always love your photos Mary, they tell a great story.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What an amazing collection of photos.I think the Turkey Vulture looks like an in coming plane,and the green vine,oh my.I must not forget the reflections,wow.Thank-you,thnk-you.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Denise: Thank you!

Ruth: You are too sweet and a blessing to have visit :-)

Barb said...

Such an outstanding Sky Watch! I enjoyed all your different perspectives. I must say, I am partial to old graveyards.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Those refelctions are outstanding. I turned the laptop upside down and they are a perfect mirror.

Cathy said...

I love the picture of the barn and magnolia tree!!

nature ramblings said...

Wow, to many great things here. Loved them all. Indiana looks like a wonderful place. I especially liked the flicker and would love to here the song. The reflections were really cute and my favorite was the picture of the old cemetary, enchanting. Great work and thanks for sharing.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: A wonderful series of skies for SWF. I do like the Flicker photos, really cool.

BirdingMaine said...

Excellent photos! Love the Flicker.

My Skywatch:
Full Moon Sunset

EG CameraGirl said...

Spring is gorgeous where you are! Our robins are singing so our spring is just a tad behind yours. ;-)

The Birdlady said...

Great post, Mary! (Of course I looked longest at the flicker!)

Leedra said...

Nice capture of the Flicker at the old tree. I also really like the Magnolia in bloom with the barn.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Carol said...

Great photos! I like the tree shots...and the cemetery... I posted a turkey vulture too...yours looks like he is coming right at you...can even see his red head...

Becky said...

I just love every one of your shots Mary. I've been watching for Flickers but haven't een any yet. Your trees in the water are amazing.
Happy Spring!
B.

Rose said...

I am behind on visiting...I hate to think how far behind I will be when I actually start babysitting Lorelei. But she is so much fun!

The pictures of that flicker are amazing...and the others are great captures as well.

(I posted this on the post below because I forgot I had scrolled on down to see what I had missed.) Will say here that I love that you are going to have a chickadee nest!

Mary said...

I'm sorry for not leaving individual comments, but it is really late here and I have to go somewhere early tomorrow. I appreciate you stopping by to visit and enjoy all of your comments! Thank you!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am so behind on my posting again. Sorry. I love the reflections as always and that magnolia must smell beautiful with all those flowers on it.

sandy said...

I enjoyed these pics and the legs and torso. That barn, looks exactly like the "studio" the guy below us built, even the same color, I'll try to get a pic.

storyteller said...

What marvelously picturesque places you've discovered in Indiana and shared here. It's impossible to choose a favorite because I enjoy them all for different reasons. I'll be back ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Linda said...

What a lovely series of photos. The blue barn and pink magnolia tree are a great combination.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone!