The day started out with taking a few "spring" shots.....
A Robin checking out the mulch I put on the wet spot by the garage. Probably be a good place for worms under there.
The flowering Japanese Quince bush is looking prettier every day.
I don't remember what these little bulbs are....I only have a couple of them.
Late in the afternoon we drove to Henderson to check on the eagle and the heron.
It was around 5PM and the Heron were beginning to return to the nests for the night. We've learned that if we go earlier in the day, they aren't there. I wonder if the ones I see at the wetlands in Evansville, fly here for the night....about 8-9 miles as the heron flies? Hmmmm....
Each one was finding a nest and standing around in it.
This one looks like it is pecking at the other one above it.
Flying in to find an empty nest.
It is often hard to tell, but I THINK the eagle is in the nest.
We heard about an area near Angle Mounds in Newburgh where deer and turkeys had been seen in the evening, but struck out on both accounts. Newburgh is a bit further east up the Ohio River. I need to fnd a simple map marked with the places I go regularly. All of it is along the Ohio River area on one side or the other. We saw more birds in the trees.......here a Kestrel, who did not like us and moved to another tree.
There was one very small wet area here that was officially declared a "wetlands" by a sign, so we stopped and checked it out. There were 2 Mallards swimming and eating and this tree that was quickly filling up with Red-Wing Blackbirds for the night.
Dozens were there by the time we moved on.
After driving to the opposite of the city in hopes of seeing wild turkey, where did we finally see one?.......
Late in the afternoon we drove to Henderson to check on the eagle and the heron.
After driving to the opposite of the city in hopes of seeing wild turkey, where did we finally see one?.......
13 comments:
Mary: Neat captures of the heron rookery. what a neat capture of the turkey in the tre. I saw a who;e flock in the trees one morning in PA but was on an interstate so have no photos.
I love the quince Mary. Here we find the ladybugs/birds are fond of them so it is a good place to get pics of them.
I am sure they are the same herons. Ours migrate to and from their breeding ground to their source of food on a dialy basis too and can be seen going to and fro at sunrise and sunset.
I really am impressed with all the Herons in the trees.Wish I could see something like that.
Blessings,Ruth
Tom:I don't see a lot of turkeys so was hoping to see a flock of them out by Angle Mounds. Just goes to show that if I hang around closer to home, I'm just as likely to find some :-)
Joan:It's pretty neat seeing them all there in the trees. I can't wait to see what baby heron look like.
Ruth:Well, come on down here to Indiana, and I will show you some :-) I keep wondering how many years they have been there and I never knew it until this year.
I'm not too sure where the Herrons roost around here, but I've never seen any nests. The ones in your area look like they are in the open and fairly to see.
B.
Becky: These are the first nests that I've ever seen. They are located in Cypress trees out in a wetland area near the Ohio River on the Kentucky side.
Oh Mary--you are so lucky to live where you do and get to see all of the wildlife up there. Love seeing the Herons in the trees. Amazing...
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy
I have seen many turkeys in our area, but have never been able to photograph them
An Arkies Musings
I've never seen so many herons in a tree before. It looks as if you had a great early evening drive. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Betsy: You and George are not that far away...3-4 hours?....why not drive up some time and I will show you all the local Indiana wildlife.
Richies: This turkey was right on the edge of the divided highway! I was really worried about it getting hit.
George: Having a rookery near by is certainly going to be interesting. I can't wait to see baby herons..wonder how they get out of the nest....a good shove from mom?
I would be so thrilled to have an eagle nest to watch!
That is funny about the turkey!
Great post. I am sure it will be so nice to see the baby Great Blue Herons. Love the turkey in the tree.
Was glad you told the name of the Japanese Quince. I have one and could not remember the name.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
Rose: I'm just glad the turkey made it across the road and am sorry I wasted gas driving all the way to Newburgh looking for one :-)
Leedra: Thanks! Aren't quince the most beautiful bushes??
Post a Comment