Monday, March 9, 2009

Geese, Swans, woodchuck.....

These photos are from last Friday at the same slough as the Eagle. This rowdy group showed up and did a lot of posturing and flapping.
These 2 geese were sleeping peacefully, until a car slammed it's door and so they started honking back at it.

There are quite a few Canada geese swimming in this slough and a few ducks.
One alone........actually his mate is on the other end of the log :-)

The big excitement besides the eagles seem to be this pair of swans.....Tundra Swans, I think.

They stay in one spot and I can't get photos that are very close or even crop down much.

I've been told that they have had a pair there in the past and I think everyone expects them to stay.
I call this one "swan snowballs".

This was the same day that I saw the groundhog (woodchuck). Eve at Sunny Side Up had posted a woodchuck a few days before and I was real excited about her photos because I don't usually see any. Then a few days later we drove into a gas station on the highway and this guy was grazing in the grass! Didn't even mind me taking his photo!

I call this his "hayseed" pose.....twig in mouth, looking casual.

Ready to say, "Howdy, y'all! Welcome to Kentucky!"

He is nibbling one of the few green leaves.

Looks like he is yelling here, but I think he is just chewing with his mouth open :-)
Kind of a cute little guy! I kept trying to see the tail better, but he wouldn't cooperate.

14 comments:

Kim said...

Great series of bird and wildlilfe photos. I would love to see some eagles.

Eve said...

I'm so happy you got a groundhog to show! They are funny guys aren't they. Just don't invite one in your garden!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great shots of the groundhog.I think the swans look graceful aes ever.
Blessings,Ruth

Jenny said...

Love the woodchuck photos specially Mary, never having seen one before Evie's one. You're spot on about that casual 'hayseed' pose. Made me laugh! (-:

Rose said...

I just had to see if anyone else made the comment that I am going to now make: that one with the goose alone on the log--that log looks like an alligator! At least that is what came to mind...now back to really look at the pictures.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

First time I've seen a woodchuck - looks cute. The swan "snowballs" look funny! A x

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Definetly a nice set of photos, I love it when geese show off. Those swans are really neat.
Even though the groundhog is my nemisis in the garden you captured him well.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Nice series of shots. Looks like you had a good day out. There's a shot with a goose sitting on a dead log and I swear that for a moment I thought it was sitting on the nose of an alligator. :-)

Mike said...

I told her it looked like an aligator, but does she ever listen to me?

The Birdlady said...

You had a great day, and got some wonderful images.

Leedra said...

Love the first photo of the groundhog.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I thought the groundhog was real cute and will have to see if he hangs around that gas station all the time.

Becky said...

I long to see Swans. On TV last night it was mentioned that there are Tundra Swans on the Bay near the Peninsula in Erie, Pa. Drat, it rained all day yesterday. No good for picture taking. I'll just settle for yours.
I saw a woodchuck too, but couldn't stop for photos.
B.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I would kick up a fuss too if someone slammed a car door while I was dozing off. :) Those swans are bveautiful Mary. I really love them. I love the hayseed pose!! :)