Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Nests....

Carletta asked me about the other nests in these trees with the Eagle's nest. I don't have a clue whose they are, but they are pretty good sized and messy looking! There were certainly a lot of them! With the eagle there, I figured they might be old nests, but if anyone knows who might have made them let me know.
More of a close up.

12 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Perhaps it's a Great Blue Heron colony? I've seen such nests in Brecksville, Ohio where, if I remember the numbers right, between two and three hundred herons all hang out.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I've seen things like that in trees but wasn't sure if they were nests or just globs of leaves and things that accumulated. That's pretty amazing to have that many nests in one tree.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking herons as well, Mary.

Mary said...

CountryDreaming: Herons were my first thought, but I've never seen their nests. Will have to look on the internet. Wow..2 or 3 hunderd? That would be neat to get photos of.

2sweetnsaxy: As messy as they look, I can see why it would be confusing! But there seems to be some sort of order to them :-)

Wren: Thanks...will check on what heron nests look like.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Hope you find out what they are. It certainly is a big colony.

George said...

I don't think I've seen so many nests in such a small area.

Mary said...

Tom and George: Seems like too many to me to be inhabited. Especially that close to the eagle. Hope to go back today and look again with binoculars at everything. Wish I could get closer, but better for the birds that I can't :-)

Eve said...

Looks very much like a Heron Rookery to me Mary. Maybe its an old one...they dont use them in the same place forever. Maybe the eagle just felt at home here so moved in!!

Mary said...

Eve: We went back there today and a guy told me they were heron nests and that the area is full of heron in the summer...a really large colony of them.

sandy said...

Wow, that's a lot of nests. Hope I can still visit, we will be gone for about five days or so...

Mary said...

Sandy: Have a nice trip wherever you are going!

Rose said...

I missed this post somehow...I was thinking great blue heron also.