Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Watery Wednesday.....

It's "Watery Wednesday", and I remembered for a change! Thanks to 2sweetnsaxy for this great blog to post our watery shots. Click on the icon on the side for more Watery shots from around the world.

I went several watery places this week so far. These shots are all from Garvin Park, which has a nice little lake with geese and ducks, and picnic areas and part of the Pigeon Creek Greenway trail.The geese and ducks were all pairing off and there was a bit of chasing away of intruders.
This pair of geese began a "bobbing" routine that I assumed was part of their courtship.

A "friendly" nip on the neck.

There were several Mallard pairs and in the light, they all appeared to have blue heads instead of green. Always looks funny to me.

I call this guy on the right, "Happy Duck".

He was very noisy, quacking away at anyone and everyone.

These two "honkers" joined in and I like the way they lean forward to honk.

Wouldn't be water without at least one turtle! This turtle is obviously used to people and didn't even slip off the log when we stopped.

My head-on shot didn't turn out too well, but I'll post it anyway.
For more Watery Wednesday, be sure to click the icon on my side bar or here!

27 comments:

Carletta said...

Hi Mary,
These are great shots! Happy Duck is something else isn't he. :)
I went to the park this week in search of ducks as well. It's nice to get outside for a change.

My Watery Wednesday post is at Carletta’s Captures.

Bryan said...

Great shots. Gotta love Happy Duck and the overly anxious honkers.

2sweetnsaxy said...

You take the best personality shots! These are great. I'm so glad you remembered this week.
:-)

Arija said...

There are great things happening in that pond, and those geese are definitely up to something!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is one thing about geese and ducks, they sure are noisy creatures. :)

Kim said...

Love the pics. The happy duck is so cute!

John Theberge said...

Boy I can't wait until we have open water around here. I loved all of your green shots from yesterday.

Eve said...

Very fun Mary! Love the "happy" duck!

Mary said...

Carletta: It's great to be out! I hope it lasts.

Bryan: Thanks! Everyone seemed to be in a spring mood.

2sweetnsaxy: I always have water shots and then I forget that its Wednesday and don't post them on the right day. This week, everyting I've taken so far has beeen watery. This meme was a great idea and is becoming very popular!

Arija: Thanks, and yes...the geese were quite busy. I predict baby geese in the future :-)

Joan: These ducks and geese are used to being fed and I think mostly theny wanted to know why we didn't bring any bread or corn.

Kallen: Thanks! He just seemed to be smiling as he quacked, and that fit my mood for the day.

John: I hope your winter breaks up soon. It must seem like forever in Maine!

Eve: Thanks!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat series from your trip to the water.

DeniseinVA said...

Super post Mary, such a lot of wonderful wildlife in that pond. I've noticed the geese are pairing off arounde here. It's that time of the year. Can't wait to see all the new babies. Your happy duck is a real cutie and I have always enjoyed seeing turtles basking in the sun on logs out in the water. A great collection here.

The Birdlady said...

Love is in the air......

storyteller said...

Yup ... definitely signs of Spring love around everywhere. Love all these photos, especially the 'loud quacker' .. Methinks I could hear him all the way in California!! I shared my first Watery Wednesday at Sacred Ruminations this week.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Fascinating group of photos! I love the photo of the deer swimming although I enjoyed all of the photos. I guess you are a wildlife afficionado. Great photos.

Rose said...

Sorry I am late in visiting...love these shots. The one with the two geese stretch out to honk is a hoot.

George said...

A great sequence of photos for Watery Wednesday. I really like 'Happy Duck'.

Cicero Sings said...

No open water here yet! Last year we had geese arriving by now ... not so this year.

Tink *~*~* said...

Thanks for the tour of your watery world. I like the leaning honkers, too :)

Happy Wednesday,
Tink *~*~*

Now Playing at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* :
Sanibel Island beach birds

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed all the pictures.I too have seen Mallards with blue instead of green heads.It must be the light.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Tom: Thanks!

Denise: Thanks...it was a busy day for Canadas everywhere we went.

Helen: Yup!

Storyteller: He was loud enough to be heard anywhere.

Daddyandboys: Glad you like the deer shot. That was from a few weeks ago.

Rose: thanks!

George: Thanks!

Cicero: Hope you get open water soon.

Tink: Thanks for stopping by!

Ruth: I'm sure it is the light, but it sure looks funny when they appear blue :-)

Shelley said...

The shots of Happy Duck made me smile! They were great! Love how you captured him w/ his duckbill open! And I always like seeing turtles - they remind me of lazy summer days....

Becky said...

I like your Happy Duck Mary. I wondered what he was really saying. LOL. Good shot of the honking geese.
Flurries predicted for tomorrow. Oh Hum.
B.

Leedra said...

Like "Happy" and "Honkers". I agree the turtles are as hard to get as birds sometimes. All you hear is them slipping into the water as you get close.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Mary, You asked if the deer ate our flowers. NO---because we use "Liquid Fence". It's a spray that won't hurt anything --but the deer don't like it (so far)...

Hugs,
Betsy

Sunshinelene said...

Great water shots! The ducks looks excited. I wonder what they are excited about.

I hope to see you at my WW entry this week. :) -

http://sunshine-photoblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/watery-wednesday-15.html

Happy WW!

EG CameraGirl said...

You took some great photos, Mary! II especially like the one of the two geese pointing their heads and necks in the same direction! It mad me smile, ;-)

Mary said...

Shelley: Happy Duck seemed to have his mouth open all the time. I bet he'd quack on a cell phone if someone gave him one :-)

Becky: Hope it is only flurries!

Leedra: This one had kids staring and yelling at him and he just sat there.

Betsy: Sounds like a good product!

Sunshine: Thanks for stopping by my blog and I did stop by yours. It is very nice!

EG Tour Guide: They seemed to be syncronized :-)