The camera can give a misleading idea of bird size if we don't label what we see. Yesterday was a good example of this. I started the day with a "big" woodpecker......
The Red-Bellied Woodpecker is about 9-10" tall.
Grabbing a mouthful of suet!
Finally, my "biggest" bird of the day looks the littlest in my photo!
A Bald Eagle at 30-43"! I thought I was taking a photo of an empty nest until I got it on the computer and zoomed in and cropped! What a great surprise to see that white head sticking up! This is just over the river in Henderson near Audubon State Park. Will definitely be going back to check on it! Got shots of some distant geese and ducks and swans, too, but they don't fit this post :-)
I was excited to see it. Both Mike and our son had seen it recently, but I hadn't. In fact our son almost got hit in the face by it flying past as he walked out the door! That wakes you up in the morning!
I took a short video of it eating the suet. I think I need to put a bigger suet cake out there! I was out at the moment when I put that little one in.
I took a short video of it eating the suet. I think I need to put a bigger suet cake out there! I was out at the moment when I put that little one in.
A Bald Eagle at 30-43"! I thought I was taking a photo of an empty nest until I got it on the computer and zoomed in and cropped! What a great surprise to see that white head sticking up! This is just over the river in Henderson near Audubon State Park. Will definitely be going back to check on it! Got shots of some distant geese and ducks and swans, too, but they don't fit this post :-)
25 comments:
HA!!! The two birds I must see this year no matter what. The pileated and bald eagle!!! You are so lucky to get those birds in your yard! The picture of the pileated is great!
That's a big Woodpecker Mary. Cheers the birding day up.
I love all the big birds!! And bravo on capturing the Pileated! I find mine to be so skittish - the moment I even look at my camera - they are flying away from me!
Kallen: Thanks...the bald eagle is not in my yard (I wish!). It's across the river in Kentucky, but not far away.
Roy: Thanks! I love the pileated...so big and strange looking!
Shelley:Thanks...the pileated is very skitterish here, too. I have to sneak up to the window. If he is at the Ash tree like in this photo, he is far enough away and has his back turned to me, that I have a chance to get a photo. I tried to open the door for a "glass free" shot, but he heard the noise.
I like the first Red-bellied shot the best, nice pose. As for the Eagle, he sure knows how to build a luxuriously spacious home!
I would LOVE to see a pileated. Wonder if they're range includes Connecticut...
How exciting to see that white head!
CountryDreaming: Red Bellied's are nice poser usually :-) That eagles nest was so huge, it was easy to see from the road, but I didn't see her until I was on the computer!
Annie: Yes, Pileateds live all over the eastern US. I was excited to see it and can't wait to go back and look again.
We used to have a several Pileated woodpeckers that lived in our are, but we seldom see one anymore. I did see one flying past earlier this week.
An Arkies Musings
Great bird shots, Mary. I know you must have been really surprised to see that Eagle's head sticking up out of that nest. We have nests like that around here--and I thought that they were always squirrels. Hmmmm---I need to start looking closer.
Great post.
Hugs,
Betsy
What a surprise to see the eagle sat in the nest! First time I have seen a photo of a pileated woodpecker, quite a bird! A x
Richies: We seem to have at least one resident pair of Pileated in the area, but they don't come to my feeders very often.
Betsy: This nest is "huge"...I don't think you would mistake it for a squirrels nest. You can see all the smaller nests in the tree. I don't know what those are, but there were many of them.
Anne: I was thrilled with the eagle! Pileated woodpeckers are really neat and so huge, but they don't come to the feeder as much as the other woodpeckers. Probably too close to the house for comfort. That is why I put that bigger feeder on the Ash tree at a greater distance, but usually my favorite squirrel is eating there :-)
Oh my goodness...what a great birding opportunity...I will be following...
What a great capture of the eagle in the nest, and those woodpeckers are huge. Enjyed the video very much and these are another wonderful series of photographs.
wow, Mary, that is a great photo of the next and bird..
Great pictures. I love his coloring.
A great capture of the eagle! There's one around here, but I haven't been able to spot it yet. Your woodpecker pictures are also very good.
Congrats on the 'capture' of the Eagle! I am so jealous but I'm so happy for you. I'm wondering about those other two smaller nests nearby.
How great to have that Pileated visiting Mary, we don't have any woodpecker near as large as those over here. Such a character! Will look forward to more shots of the Bald Eagle nest before the leaves shoot.
Great pictures and yes,size on picture is not always accurate.
Blessings,Ruth
Stunning series of pics Mary!
That Pileated is a marvel.
I wish that Pileated could visit here sometime. I don't see many here. Maybe we don't have enough big dead trees.
Great Red Bellied too. He is big!
B.
RamblingWoods: There were at least two other cars checking out the area while we were there, but some of them were watching 2 swans who appear to be nesting there. Don't know if they all saw the eagle.
Denise: Thanks! I'm excited. I love the woodpeckers and wish the Pileated visited a bit more regularly.
Sandy: Thanks!
Connie: thanks!
George: Hope you see it soon!
Carletta: There were a lot of other nests nearby. They are big nests, too even though not on an eagle scale. Surely nothing would build right next to the eagle...I figure they are old. Will show a better shot of the other nests tomorrow.
Jenny: Pileated are definitly neat woodpeckers. They are just do huge compared to the other woodpeckers.
Ruth: I forget sometimes that the camera changes how we preceive size. I don't usually think to mention it.
Kingsdowner: Thanks! We do have a lot of nice woodpeckers here.
Becky:Pileated woodpeckers should be in your area somewhere. Maybe one will show up some day. I was certainly startled the first time I saw one!
How cute Mary. This is the reason I often put my hand in a picture so that people have a perspective of size. I so wish I could get shots of woodpeckers but ours are mych too shy so we only hear them.
Great shots. How awesome that you can see the bird in that nest!! Wow!
Joan: Thanks! Well, since you do bug photography, having your hand is really helpful. Think I could get my birds to let me hold them? LOL! I need to remember to look up sizes in the guide book.
2sweetnsaxy: It was pretty awesome to realize she was there. I really thought it was just a big empty nest! Just think with film photoraphy, I still would think that! It's only because I could zoom in on the computer that I saw the eagle! I do love digital cameras!
Post a Comment