Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Checking the Heron Rookery.....

Each of the nests is beginning to have birds sitting in it and there was a lot of activity flying to and from the nests today.
Stacked up

Bringing back sticks
More sticks.
A lot of heron in a small space.
These all have a bird sitting low.....
....these were standing tall.
The eagle is at home, if you look closely and see the white head.
The eagle doesn't seem bothered by all the heron surrounding it.

Down below all this there are a few Canada Geese swimming, flapping, or sitting on nests.
Couldn't believe all the Duckweed already, but liked the squiggles on the blue water.
I just found a good website with information about how they nest and breed. Now I know what to look for when we check the nests. I'm guessing the first chicks will be around the first of May.

21 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wow but you are going to have a lot of herons there this summer!! :)

Kim said...

That's a lot of herons and a lot of nests!!! Very cool to see.

Kelly said...

...that's a lot of herons! Always love the heron photos. I hope to make it to our rookery today also.

John Theberge said...

You should be able to get some interesting shots once the eggs hatch and the adults start feeding the young.

Shelley said...

You are in heron heaven! How fun to see all that nest building activity! I hope you continue to post more photos of this! :-)

Anonymous said...

That Heronry looks a busy place Mary.

Becky said...

I'm wondering what happens when you have some high winds. These nests don't seem very stable. Is the Eagle using an old heron nest or is this one the eagles built themselves?
13ยบ here this morning Brrrr.
B.

Arija said...

With the number of tenants you will soon need higher tenements!

Arija said...

With the number of tenants you will soon need higher tenements!

Mary said...

Joan: This is very close to the Ohio River and lots of small lakes in the area, so I guess they all disperse later. It's a fairly large slough, but I bet it begins to dry out in July or August.

Kallen: I'm amazed at the number all jammed in there together. There are other trees with no nests.

Kelly: Oh, good...you get closer shots then I do at your rookery.

John: I wish my camera could bring them even closer, but I'm at the max now and can't crop them any more.

Shelley: It's interesting to me because I've never seen this before.

Roy:Very busy!

Becky: They don't look very stable. The eagle was already there when we found the place, so I don't know if it used an old nest or built its own. It is more securly in the middle then the heron nests, which seem to be perched on very little.

Rose said...

Mary, wonderful shots. It always makes me smile to see herons in a tree! You are so lucky to live there close to this place.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

MaryGreat shots at the rookery. I have one in the area and will go there one day soon.

CountryDreaming said...

I love the prehistoric look of these flapping birds with their great big nests.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

THe Heron rookery is fascinating.Out here we are glad to see one heron at a time.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

It's just THAT time of the year. Love is in bloom, Mary... The nests are getting ready and soon you'll see some babies all over the place. How neat to watch these big birds this time of year. AND--how interesting!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

This is great. I'm enjoying your heronry visits. Will look forward to chick time in May then. By the way, I wished Mike a Happy Birthday, but the comment didn't show up. Not sure what happened, but Happy belated Birthday Mike! (-:

Richard Lawry said...

I received my gift in the mail today. My mug mat is not only beautiful, but reversible. I will be using it as a coaster at my computer as I blog. Now I just use a piece of scrap paper. The picture of Star is just tooo funny.

Thanks

An Arkies Musings

Eve said...

Thanks for the update Mary, this is great!

George said...

I've never seen so many herons in such small area. It's interesting that the eagle didn't seem to mind all the neighbors.

abb said...

DANG! I thought herons nested on the ground. Where have I been??? What wonderful photos of those most magnificent birds! I'm so glad you shared them. We have herons on our pond and all along Long Island Sound, but I've never seen a nest.

Duck weed?????? THE BANE OF OUR POND'S EXISTENCE! We've spent big bucks trying to get rid of it - we've only managed to keep it at bay. Dang again.

Mary said...

Arija: They certainly know how to make a "high rise"!

Rose: I had never seen them in a tree before or their nests so this is really interesting for me to watch.

Fishing Guy: Oh, good...we can compare!

Country Dreaming: they do look a bit prehistoric and somehow being in a tree makes them look even more ungraceful.

Ruth: I'm used to seeing one at a time, too.

Betsy: Babies sound so neat, if they are successful.

Jenny: We will have to try to get there often once we see evidence of chicks. I can't even imagine how they will look.

Richies: Oh, good..glad to know it arrived.

Eve: thanks....I'm excited.

George: I'm surprised about the eagle, too, but mabye it is waiting for a few meals flying in.

Annie: I was surprised to see them nest in trees, too and so many together. We have a "grass carp" in our pond that takes care of the duckweed, but I'm not sure that a clear lake is necessarily desirable from an ecology standpoint. I would love to leave our lake more wild. This duckweed is at a wetlands area.