We drove to Hovey Lake in Mt. Vernon, IN earlier this week.

One of the first things we saw were several Bluebirds high up in the trees flitting around.

I think this one is a male...darker in color, but not a very good shot

Balanced

I was really excited to find out this was a Red-Headed Woodpecker, because I never see them at my house!

As we walked along the marsh area, we apparently stumbled onto a "Coots Convention"! There were 100's of them! Hard to get photos because they were so spread out all over the area.

One smaller group.

Trying to get closer to them.

A few standing in the trees.

A nice turtle out there with them.

A turtle log out in the lake.

One of several hawks we saw on the way coming or going.
A lot of activity! My favorite kind of day :-)
20 comments:
What a great day Mary. I am pleased to see the turtles out again. "coots Convention"? Sounds like and excuse for a drinking binge to me. :)
Lovely shots all of them, but particularly the first Bluebird sitting up straight and the turtle covered log.
Great activity Mary...love the Red-head!!
I have never seen so many Coots Mary
I can't believe you've seen turtles already. We don't even have any open water around here yet.
Joan: If it wasn't a convention, maybe it was an invasion in progress :-)
Arija: I loved seeing the bluebirds and need to put up a box at home and see if I can attract one.
Eve: The Red-Head was a real plus. I've only ever seen 2-3 before.
Roy: I think it must have been a migration or something. There were 100's all in this one little marsh area.
John: Poor you....that's the problem with living in Maine :-) I've seen 100's of turtles already and all of our water is open most of the year.
Mary: What a neat look at the birds of your area. I like the hawk through the branches.
Fishing Guy: That is about as good as I ever get them! He was mad at me for stopping to take his photo. He had been on the wires overhead.
Wow looks like you had a fantastic day! All these birds and even turtles!!! They are so cute all lined up like that!!! Isn't nature just great :)
Lovely, Mary! Hope that hawk doesn't make lunch of those bluebirds.
Sounds like an exciting day.The picturs would indicate that.
Blessings,Ruth
Lovely post Mary. It was indeed a full action day by the looks of it. Love that Red-headed Woody, they're stunning birds!
Great day, and series. Love the turtle log.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
A perfectly birdy day! Those birds are so "coot!"
You sure had more luck there than we did at Goose Pond...I think G. P. is fairly new. Also wondered if it will be a place that is busier sometimes than at others with migration.
There were not near as many coots there as you are showing here.
Another special day for you Mary. I'm waiting for the Bluebirds, but it might be a while.
Lucky to see the Red Headed too. I've not seen one too.
B.
Wow Mary... You had a great day, didn't you???? Love the bluebirds. AND--I hope that I see a Red-headed Woodpecker again this summer. I got one photo last year of him. Beautiful bird.
Hugs,
Betsy
It looks as if you had a great day at the lake. I'm glad you saw quite a few bluebirds -- we're still waiting to see more around here.
Thank you everyone! I had company last night and didn't get all my comments written, but I appreciate all of you stopping in to say hello. I wonder why the Red-Headed woodpecker is more elusive then the others?
WOW...what a day it must have been!
I can't believe the turtles are out already. WOW! I'm off tomorrow on a nature hunt to see if I can find any flowers popping up or any wildlife...I hope I can see as much as you've seen!!
Post a Comment