Below the Heron Rookery and eagles's nest there is other activity going on in the water. Lots of Canada geese pairing off.
I actually caught this pair as they were coming in for a landing.
Are there Hooded Mergansers? If so, they are new for me. That was my best guess from such a distant shot and looking at my Sibley guide.
The swans were hiding behind some low bushes most of the time, but right before we left, they came out for a swim and we got a few shots of them.
We drove to the other cornfield slough area where we have been watching the geese all winter and they have mostly gone away. They appear to be draining the field ready for planting.
There was still some water in this field and it was full of Shovelers.....maybe 20 pair.
Yesterday at home, I looked out to see a few Cowbirds and a dove eating some old seeds under the tree by the door.
There were 3-4 Brown-Headed Cowbird males.
I actually think they are rather pretty, but don't like to have large numbers of them hanging around.
A nice looking Cowbird female......much greyer.........
We drove to the other cornfield slough area where we have been watching the geese all winter and they have mostly gone away. They appear to be draining the field ready for planting.
Yesterday at home, I looked out to see a few Cowbirds and a dove eating some old seeds under the tree by the door.
15 comments:
Yeah that's one silly looking cowbird Mary.
Looks to melike that fluffball is a sick bird.
Blessings,Ruth
Eve: I thought it was weird.
Ruth: It was eating, but that is all I can say about it.
You hate to see the sick ones hanging around the feeders.
A very interesting place to see water birds. When the weather is a little nicer I hope to make a few trips to wildlife areas on the river near me.
Marnie
Oh, that little fluffball is adorable!
What an interesting place this is...I think I need to visit it sometime.
Mary: Very nice, enjoyed your bird show.
I always enjoy your photos. The last ones made me smile. Looks like it was really stuffing its little face. :-)
Yip!! Tis the season for pairing up right now. :) I like the fluffy one Mary, seems kind of cute. In the begining of summer we also had some early robins which I wondered about. I guess the weather messes them around too.
The hoody merganser is such a beautiful bird Mary..
That is a merganser - they stop by our pond every so often, either in the spring or fall. Never stay, tho.
Lovely set of photos, Mary. (As usual!)
Update on my weird bird. I just saw the other female pecking at it. Not a good sign. It can fly, but seems a bit clumsy on the ground when it moves around. It stays right under that tree hoping for food and I don't have much unshelled stuff to offer it at the moment.
He is so fluffy it makes him cute. Hope he is ok.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
Those Hoodies are one of my favorites. Just so darn cute.
I've not seen a Shoveler either.
About that fluffy Cowbird. Could she be sick? I'm beginning to have plenty of Grackles now ugh!
Beautiful day. We took a ride to Pymatuning State Park today( in Penna). I got lots of bird and fish shots. Will post them Sunday.
Have a great week-end.
B.
Leedra: I do believe it might be sick or wounded in some way, but haven't figured out what the problem is yet.
Becky: I think it is sick. Glad someone had a good day taking photos! I only took a couple shots today which left me with little for tomorrow's post!
Hilarious face!
Post a Comment