Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Marsupial.....

In Australia they have koalas, kangaroos, wombats and all sorts of other cute marsupials...........In North America we have the Virginia Opossum. One of nature's scavengers. A walking "garbage can". Hmmmmm....I think we got cheated!
When I posted a possum before, I discovered that those of you overseas weren't familiar with the possum, so this time I tried to get better photos. They are about the size of a housecat.
Look at those toes and toenails! Yuck. Sort of pre-historic looking creature. They are actually fairly gentle (although they have lots of sharp little teeth) and come at night to eat anything they can find that might be around to eat.....left over bird seed, bugs, leaves, small rodents, whatever. As you can see, I was able to open the front door and take photos and it totally ignored my presence! I have taken a broom to them, and they don't like it, but slowly go away.....to return later when I am not looking, I am sure! I have never seen one with babies, which are carried in a pouch to begin with like all marsupials and later they carry them on their back.

I really dislike the tail.....very rat like! This one seems to have a small bloody spot on his. They are noted for falling over and playing dead when startled, but I have never seen one do it. They seem to be the number two roadkill that I see in the country, (following my fox squirrels which have a bad habit of dashing right out in front of a car at the last minute). Skunks are third. Possums move very slowly.

With the nicer temperatures we spent some time over the weekend, beginning to clean up the mess left from the ice storm in February. Clean-up throughout the city has been very expensive and still isn't finished. Where we live in the country, you clean up for yourself and dispose of it yourself.
This is more or less how it looked to begin with.....a large Mulberry tree had to be cut down because it was overhanging our one-lane road during the storms and keeping the neighbors from getting in and out. A neighbor and his crew chopped it off for us and threw it all off the road, but now we have to do something with all of it.
Mike has made a good start here of chopping up the large pieces and I was stacking the small stuff to be put through a shredder later.
I was trying to figure out if we could take the chainsaw and turn the trunk into something artistic :-) Hmmmmm........
Lots of sawdust and there will be mulch that we can put on a muddy place between our garage and the neighbor on that side, so that might actaully be a plus when we get it all chopped up!

The "Surprise" lilies are sending up their green leaves. You will have to come back in July or August to see the flowers. I really need to move these to a better location, but always forget where they are.
A "wooly worm" that was crossing the yard. I picked him up to try to take a photo and dropped him. So he got mad and curled up in a ball :-)
Will get back to birds tomorrow !

14 comments:

Tom Arbour said...

That creature does have crazy tail. When I was in Australia way back in 1999, my group were out in an Australian forest with government biologists looking for owls. We also happened to see a small possum scurrying way up in the eucalypt trees. I told one of the biologists that we have possums in the United States too. He then looked at me, with a straight face, and said, "you mean the "O"-possum. He completed dissed our possum. Apparently, he didn't realize that we colloquially call "O" possums "possums"!

Tom

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! What a fantastic blog Mary. I did not realize that there were marsupials in any other part of the world. This has been an extremely interesting lesson in nature for me. Thank you.

abb said...

When you click on that wooly worm, the large photo is quite wonderful. The opossom photos, too.
Spring clean-up...how very nice to think about.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This is another very interesting post.I like the look of the green lilies and blades of grass.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

That Opossum, not a very nice animal Mary.

Mary said...

Tom:LOL! That is funny, because I was reading about them before posting this and didn't even know there were "possums" without the "o" in Australia :-) I believe they got their name from ours, if I read the information correctly...so there! I'm not fond of the critteres, but they are rather interesting, like any animal. I would like to see one with babies sometime.

Joan: Do you have any marsupials in South Africa? Which ones?

Annie: The wooly worm is definitley cuter then the possum. Those nails and tail really sort of gross me out.

Ruth: I'm seeing more green shoots and bulbs coming up....just hope it isn't too soon!

Roy:Kind of a nasty looking critter and I don't like it's dispostion. I guess it can't help looking like it does :-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Thanks for showing the opussum, great information. I always thought they were an ugly creature. They have quite the set of teeth, so I don't want the too close. They move at night and if you catch them in your headlights you will get a snarl.

Don Wood said...

Yep I prefer the wooly worm the tree trunk looks good as it is shame to loose a mulberry I love the fruit friend of ours have one overhanging their garden wall and I always try for a bag of mulberry's when they are in season XXX Don

Leedra said...

Sometimes we forget other people don't have the same animals and birds as we do. Even within the USA.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Mary said...

Fishing Guy: I read that they have more teeth then any other mammal in our country...and sharp. I should have put that in. I've never had one snarl at me, even when I poke it with the broom :-) Maybe snarling at people in cars is what gets them run over!

Don: We have another big mulberry and I will not be surprised if this one puts out new shoots from the stump. I've never eaten the mulberries but assume the birds do from the mess I see at times. Maybe our mulberries and yours aren't the same. I never thought these were edible.

Leedra:I always smile when someone uses the term "ordinary" in their blog....may not be at all ordinary to me!

Kathy W said...

I have to laugh at your possum story. We used to have one that came up on our front porch at night to eat cat food. We keep it out for stray cats. Anyway one of our cats would just go nuts when it showed up on the porch and set and howl through the front window at it. Ours was a lot bigger than the one you have a pic of. And it hissed at you if you came out the front door.

Becky said...

WEll, it does sound like Spring has made you a visit. We had lots of possoms here in the past, but for now they have gone someplace else, which is fine with me. They carry diseases. I've trapped them before to relocate far away from here, and found them to be nasty, but then again I'd be nasty too if I was trapped in a cage, and not knowing what the next move might be.
Looks like Mike has a full time job for a while cleaning up after that tree.
It's pouring here tonight, and then snow tomorrow.
B.

Eve said...

Love the wooly bear Mary. Great post. Opossoms love to eat chickens too Mary...I wonder how they would fair against my guineas? I think the guineas would win!

Mary said...

Kathy: Possums can be a real nusiance. We used to have an outdoor cat and we rigged up a warm place in the garage for it to sleep....only to find a possum all curled up there instead! Trying to make it go away was really hard!

Becky:I always try to eliminate some of the ground feeding when I know they are around and put out only enough for a days feeding for the birds.

Eve: They eat chickens?? I think your guineas can lick anything :-)