Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My World Tuesday....

It's My World Tuesday and I thought I would post a photo of our "Peace Tree".This tree stands on a corner lot out in the country not far from where I live. I've driven by many times and never knew the story behind it.
The sigh reads:
"International World War Peace Tree
Nov. 11, 1918"
I did a little research on-line and found the following information in an article from our newspaper. The tree is a Linden tree and was brought here to Evansville, Indiana from Germany in 1912 by Joseph Freudenburg. When WWI....."the war to end all wars"....ended, all the local German families gathered for a celebration at this family's home. They had a ceremony to plant the tree on this corner along with a flagpole in honor of peace. Generations of this family have tended it ever since.
The story can be read in more detail here: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/may/25/family-still-tends-ww-i-peace-tree/

That's my world today! For more My World posts, click on the icon on my sidebar.
Thanks to all who host My World.
(my nature post for the day is below this post)

25 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat symbol of the peace that we all wish for our land.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lovely story Mary. If only we had lived up to it.

Shelley said...

Wow - fantastic history and meaning on that tree!!

Kim said...

What a fantastic tree and the reason for it is even better.

Eve said...

Hi Mary...I'm behind on all my posting...this is a really nice post, and an amazing story. I love your spring post below. We have a long way to go before flowers start to show up.

John Theberge said...

Great story and it's nice to know the family still cares for it.

Jessica said...

I love trees and this one is really special. How neat that you get to see it so often!

penny said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story. A peace tree is a great idea.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I only wish this tree had truly signaled peace. I guess we will have to all plant our own peace trees and nurture them to remind us that peace is important and worth working for.

Latane Barton said...

Isn't it fun to have seen that tree for ages and then find out all that info on it. I love doing that.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

A great story.This world needs more 'peace'trees.Maybe if we each planted and tended one there would be less stife.
Blessings,Ruth

Louise said...

That is a great tree. It is wonderful that such a tree has a history that is known.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat tree--and story, Mary. I wish there was PEACE in the world today. Maybe we need MORE Peace Trees.
Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

Great story. I wish that peace was as common as trees

An Arkies Musings

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

A wonderful tree - maybe we should plant more Peace trees! A x

George said...

What a neat thing for the family to continue to do after so many years. Thanks for sharing this part of your world.

Rose said...

Mary, what a marvelous story...now I am off to read the link you gave us.

Leedra said...

Great history lesson. November 11th isn't remembered as much as it should be every year.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

SandyCarlson said...

Let's hear it for those fantastic people!

Linnea said...

Thanks for sharing that great story and what a wonderful tree. I hope it has a long life!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone....let's all go plant a peace tree!

Arija said...

That is a lovely tree and a lovely story.
I do hope that sometime in the trees lifetime, and Linden trees live for many hundreds of years, people wake up to themselves and learn to live in harmony with each other.

Mary said...

Arija: Amen! Peace begins with each of us each day.

sandy said...

Interesting story about that tree.

Richard Lawry said...

I received my gift in the mail today. My mug mat is not only beautiful, but reversible. I will be using it as a coaster at my computer as I blog. Now I just use a piece of scrap paper. The picture of Star is just tooo funny.

Thanks

An Arkies Musings