Sunday, January 25, 2009

Squirrel Sunday.....Squirrel IQ test

DAY ONE: THE SQUIRREL PROOF FEEDER "This is hard work.....how am I suppose to get the seeds out of these little holes????"
"Getting a good meal is back breaking work!"

DAY TWO: I REMOVED THE LID FROM THE SQUIRREL PROOF FEEDER
(will he notice???)

"There's something different about this.....hmmmm...wonder what it is?"

"Don't know what this disc thing is that is hanging in my way"

"I guess this is the best position I can find"

"Hang ten.....always the best way to fill the belly"

DAY THREE: THE LIGHT FINALLY DAWNS
"Hey....who left this thing open???"

"Maybe I can get in here!....hope no one is looking"
"Wow.....I just found a secret stash of seeds and I don't think anyone will notice me if I'm real quiet. I'll hide."
"If I turn my back she'll never notice what I'm doing."

"Squirrel heaven is a feeder full of seeds and no lid on the top"

"Maybe I'll just move in here permanently. I think I can sleep in here if I try."
(It actually took him several days to find the open top! Later another squirrel was doing it the hard way again. No one says squirrels are smart!)
Wow...Rose at Pics and Pieces feeds her Mama squirrel by hand! Check it out!
And Anne in Norway posted her little red squirrel friend!
It's a squirrely Sunday today all over!

27 comments:

me ann my camera said...

It looks like a great swing! And the squirrels tail could serve as the pendulum...hmmm He just wasn't in a hurry to show his smarts. Happy Squirrel Sunday.

Anonymous said...

He is some acrobat Mary

Mary said...

Ann: I couldn't believe it took him so long!

Roy: They are very agile for sure.

Tom Arbour said...

Mary- I have the no no feeder and I have never had a squirrel open it in over a year!

Tom

Mary said...

Tom: I opened this for him. I don't mind feeding squirrels as you can see :-) Even when they can't open them, they always seem to find a way to get some seeds. Will look up the no no feeder.

Mary said...

Tom: Didn't realize that was the name of this feeder! The racoons are the ones who used to open it, but the squirrel gets his seeds without opening it as you can see in the photos. I've never figured out how they can use their mouths/teeth to get seeds out of tiny openings in mesh, but they do! The birds don't like it very much and seem to have a hard time getting seeds from it.

Shelley said...

Have to love their persistence! This made me laugh!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

So much for a Squirrel proof feeder.LOL
Blessings,Ruth

Anne på Moseplassen said...

ooo, you and Star always make me laugh :)

My squirrel was digging for goodies in the snow today :) I had already posted my post, but next sunday Ill show him of :)

George said...

It was good to read that you had left the top off for the squirrels. We've found that most squirrel-proof feeders aren't. Great pictures though.

Rose said...

Mary, these are priceless! I think the best squirrel mini-series yet!

I featured Mama Squirrel today--you got to come see her!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute post, Mary. Made me laugh out loud at the squirrel's thoughts you posted.. Stupid little guys---but persistent for sure!!!! They make the old statement, "If at first you don't succeed, try and try again" to be VERY true, don't they????

LOVE this post.
Hugs,
Betsy

sandy said...

HAHAHA, WHAT a character! i always enjoy the squirrel photos.

Leedra said...

He sure was entertaining though! I am sure you had a great time watching him.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Mary said...

Thanks everyone...I think it is funny that he continues to feed out of the outer edge most of the time instead of the open top. Squirrels will be squirrels, I guess and want to do it their own way.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Too cute! Squirrels are very resourceful and clever when it comes to food!

kjpweb said...

Funny - but at the end they all manage... :)
I wouldn't be surprised if they would have shown up with a tool belt and remove the lid themselves...

Cheers, Klaus

DeniseinVA said...

How lovely, I have enjoyed this latest series in your squirrel pictures Mary. And thank you for all your kind words. I shall be eternally greatful for them and for that hug. Here is one for you.

Dorothy said...

They are so funny! If you just give them time, they will finally figure it out!!! Great series of pictures!

Becky said...

I actually did think squirrels were smart, but I guess you have proved otherwise. What a cute story Mary, and I'm sure they give you tons of entertainment. It might even make a good childrens book. "Star's New Hiding Place".
B.

Mary said...

JB: You would find them very entertaining in your little world, JB.

Klaus: I agree! I was really surprised when it took so long for him to realize that I removed the lid!

Denise: Thanks, and I'm just glad that you are back and feel like blogging a bit again.

Dorothy:I'm constantly amazed at the positions they will get in to eat seeds! I've got another set that is just as crazy with a different feeder.

Becky: I thought they were smarter, too....just persistent, I guess more than anything. Feel free to write the book! I wish I was talented enough to write children's stories. They require great illustrations to be popular.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great little acrobats - I love to see the antics they get up to. Lovely set of photos Mary. A

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Shame on you for teasing him like that!! LOL!! What good is a squirrel proof feeder if you are going to leave the lid open? You really are an old softy aren't you?? :)

Eve said...

I love that last photo!!

Mary said...

Anne: They are so funny to watch when they explore something new.

Joan: I'll admit to being soft...in the head, probably! He was feeding from it quite fine with the lid on, so I figured why not make it easy for him.

Eve: He loved sitting on top of it and protecting it from the other squirrels...very funny.

2sweetnsaxy said...

This was great! LOL! What a character. Your narration was perfect, all leading up to that last photo. It passed the test with flying colors! :-D

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: He's so funny all the time, I don't have to work too hard for good photos and stories.