We went down to Henderson Slough for our weekly check on the swans and geese Saturday. It was getting close to dusk so that didn't help my photos any.
This time the swans were 16 in number and sitting in a flooded field on the frozen ice.
I like how that little building looked out beyond them. I am only allowed to stand on the edge of the road and not even approach the field, so it is frustrating at times shooting over tall grasses and through tree limbs and twigs!
The geese had moved to a new field and seemed much fewer in number. There were many of the White-Fronted geese this time and we got there right when they were coming in large numbers to land for the night.
The sky was filled with them and I just tried to concentrate on getting some sort of focus! I have no idea why these first couple shots look so "sepia".
You can see how they are in assorted groups near and far coming over in waves.
I thought it was interesting when I looked at the photos that the long line of geese sort of echoed the faint branches that were in my way.
My closest shot of a trio coming down.
I finally figured out to focus on the field of geese and then just keep clicking as they came down. I have long series of them that I can click through step by step as they land, but this is as close and as in focused as it gets. The trees were high and the sun was just going down behind me very rapidly robbing me of light.
It's fascinating to watch them "lower their landing gear" as they come down and those orange legs really stood out.
I've been told they will be around until the end of February, more or less, but I can already see less of them in this area. Maybe next week we need to try the Hovey Lake area, which is sort of west across the river on the Indiana side from where this slough is.
I've been told they will be around until the end of February, more or less, but I can already see less of them in this area. Maybe next week we need to try the Hovey Lake area, which is sort of west across the river on the Indiana side from where this slough is.
24 comments:
Wonderful shots of geese at sunset.
We are all suffering with poor light at the moment Mary, I guess they are quite some distance away from where you took the shots as well. I should like to be able to see some Snow Geese.
Great captures!!
Great shots, it seems like a place I would love to visit.
Arija:Thanks1
Roy: Yes, they are out in fields and you are not allowed to "tresspass". Hunters roam the area keeping an eye on them and on you as you stop.
Keri: Thanks!
John: YOu probably have longer lenses that would get some great shots...as well as a lot more ability to use them:-)
Mary: You sure got a lot of neat photos as you passed through the area. I thought that last leg shot was really cool.
Fishing Guy: Thanks! It has been really interesting to go check on these birds once a week.
Beautiful Mary.. I know why you enjoy going there. Back when my sons were little, we'd go to a back road behind the big airport in Knoxville and watch the airplanes come and go.. It was so much fun---but no better than you getting to see the birds come and go!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
What a great series of shots.
Betsy and George: I'm so thankful that Mike's friend told us about this place! It's been a real birding experience for me.
Great pictues! How nice that you get to see so many, geese, etc.
I always enjoy your blog!
Lovely geese shots Mary. They're wonderful birds to watch and listen to arnt they. Shame you're not allowed to get closer. Could you not ask the people in charge of the area to get some access sometime? Just a thought.
Dorothy: Thanks!
Jenny: This refuge area is surrounded by private lands where hunting is allowed. There are 2 hunt clubs on the same road. These posted areas give these large migratory groups a safe place to be. If I tried to sneak closer even with permission, I would probably drive the birds into the areas where someone would shoot them. The ban on tresspassing is only from Nov. to Mar.....which I assume is when they come through and rest here. Farming probably begins on the land right after that. We pass fields right before and after that have 100's of decoys in them and I have seen hunters driving up and down the road every time we are there. I'm not sure what the relationship is between the hunters and this refuge area. I've just been told to stay away from the birds. There are some viewing platforms in some places but the birds never seem to be near them. The birds are very aware of which fields are safe for them.
Nice shots--those of the ones landing are wonderful. I notice none of your swans seem to have any bands. I took some the other day, which were out of focus so I didn't show any...but one had a band on it. I wonder if it is one of the same ones I have captured before.
Forgot to say, I like that sepia affect even if it wasn't on purpose.
Rose: I didn't look for bands. Last time I saw a banded Canada Goose....looked uncomfortable around the neck! I really don't know what caused the sepia thing to happen, but I kind of liked it too.
Thosse in-flight shots are neat.
Blessings,Ruth
These are great shots Mary. Even if you are far away. Those geese standing on the ice reminds me of an article I read last week about some ducks and geese getting their feet frozen in the ice while sleeping . This was on Presque Isle on Lake Erie, and I don't know what happened to them
B.
Great series, love the landing photos.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
Wonderful pictures - I like the sepia effect too. Loved the one of the 3 coming down. A x
You have some brilliant action shots Mary. I have to feel sorry for them with almost everything being frozen.
The photo with the line of geese in the sky, it gives a special feeling !
Great Swans Mary. I really love the white-fronted geese. I hope someday I can add them to the list of birds I've seen. Hummm my life list was wiped out on the computer...should start a new one don't you think!!
Ruth: Thanks!
Becky: That would be terrible! This ice is on a field and very thin, so hopefully no such problems.
Leedra and Anne: Thanks!
Joan: Well, the mighty Ohio River is not very far from where they are...just a couple miles at the most...so they can find unfrozen water when they want it. It's the corn and beans that attract them to this area.
Mamapippa: Thanks for visiting!
Eve: Maybe this is a sign that you are to start your new life list in Alabama. I've never compurerized mine...maybe I should. I mark one that is in the front of my Roger Tory Peterson guide and it is for only the Eastern US. I guess our blogs become our life list :-)
Post a Comment