Friday, January 9, 2009

SkyWatch Friday.....

It's Skywatch Friday time and I needed a shot in a hurry.
Ok....it's a moon. Many of you shoot the moon all the time. But this was my first "moon shot" with the new camera and I was very happy with it. Was surprised that I could crop it this close and see craters on the bottom edge. Didn't even use a tripod! Cool!
The rest of these photos are from Wednesday when we had a very brief bit of snow.

I swear that Titmice always look happier than any other bird I see!

The Chickadee doing its "over the shoulder" look.....

.....Cardinal decided to do the same.

Facing into the wind and snow.

I love the blowing "pantaloons" on this one. A little breezy!

Doesn't stop him from eating....and eating....and eating.

I liked this distant shot....usually I'm always trying to get close-up and lose the over-all atmosphere.

Mrs. C deserves at least one shot.

And the Bluejay is always good for color.
Well, that is only one real Skywatch shot, but that's my post for today.
Look for more Skywatch by clicking the icon on my sidebar. Join in the fun!
What's in your sky right now???

34 comments:

Becky said...

Yep, you have the same birds I do. So much pretty color. I like your peanut feeder. I've never seen one like it.
That moon shot is awesome without a tripod! That camera is a keeper for sure! Of course 50% of any picture is the photographer.
6" of new snow here last night. Total from this event 15". More to come today.I need some snowshoes! LOL.
B.

Mary said...

Becky: Actually, it is not a peanut feeder and probably frustrates him because he can't pull out an entire nut. It is a sunflower feeder that I just dumped some peanuts into :-) I see the Wren and Nuthatch pecking around on them, too. I'm not sure I want to know your total for the entire winter already...you have really had the snow!

Rose said...

Wow! You must have a steady hand to get that shot without a tripod!

Love the bird shots. Aren't bluejays just so handsome...to bad they are so agressive.

Digital Polaroids said...

What a wonderful moon, Mary!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing moon shot Mary! The detail & seeing all the craters is incredible. Being a bird lover, I enjoyed your bird photos too this morning :-)

Mary said...

Rose: I have never used a tripod. Mike was talking about getting me one that is just a stick thing? I'm too lazy to do stuff like that. I try to lean against a tree or building when possible :-)

Digital Photos: Thanks!

Deb: Thanks...I enjoy the birds more than the moon, but it was too dark to get anything else for my Skywatch :-)

Mary said...

That moon shot is so beautiful! I loved seeing all the birds, too. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

You took a very good shot! Amazing without a tripod, in fact. You must have a steady hand!

I also love the variety of birds you see.

Mary said...

Mary: Thanks for stopping by! Sort of confused me for a minute when I saw my name :-) Always glad to have another Mary around.

EG Tour Guide: Thanks...I'm lazy, is what it is.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a nice offering for SWF. That moon makes me jealous of your cameras power. I nice series of birds also.

Mary said...

Fishing Guy: Thanks..it probably has more power then I am aware of or will figure out how to use. I'm just thankful for the greater pixels!

Mike's Travels said...

that's a great new camera you have. Super shots!

Jenny said...

That's a really great moonshot Mary. Every time I've tried one when it's competely dark I just a big white blur! What's your secret? (-:

Eve said...

Great Moon Mary, you did really good with that new camera! Such sweeties at your feeders!

Mary said...

Mike: Thanks!

Jenny: I'm not smart enough about cameras to have any secrets. I often get big white blurs, too...took several earlier that were exactly that. I just put it on autofocus, zoomed as far as it would go, and waited for it to focus. I braced my elbow on the house :-) The actual shot wasn't that close, but I was able to crop it without losing the clarity. Someone who knew what they were doing would have had an even better shot!

Eve: Thanks...the camera does the work because it is smarter than I am :-)

Carletta said...

What a shot of the moon!
I'm with you - lazy when to comes to using a tripod even though I have one.
This good - what's a tripod!

The bird shots were wonderful as always.

Linda Reeder said...

That is a great moon shot! And without a tripod?
Beautiful bird shots, too.

Q said...

Dear Mary,
Happy Full Moon!
I always have to use a tripod for my Full Moon shots. Wonderful...steady hand you have.
Love all the birds as well.
Happy SWF.
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying the camera, because we're enjoying the photos. Happy skywatch!

Carol said...

A gorgeous moon!...and craters!! love the birds too esp the blue jay...I hardly ever see them...

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lovely shot of the moon.It is great to see all the birds as well.I'm still witing for a Cardinal to show up at my feeders.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Mary, George is looking at new cameras and yours looks like a really good one. What did you get????

The moon picture is incredible. Thanks!!!! And I always love your bird pictures. AND--you got some snow!!! How 'bout that?????

Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

That is a great moon shot. i love the cardinal pic also.

An Arkie's Musings

George said...

The moon shot is great -- I wish I could get a shot like that. I liked your bird pictures too.

Katney said...

I would be extremely pleased with that moonshot.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Now thats a great shot Mary!! Excellent. This camera is really doing welll to say nothing about the photographer, she is doing great too!! :)

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! For those who asked, my camera is a FinePix S100FS. "Santa" brought it for Christmas and I have a lot to learn, since I'm a very lazy point and shoot person.

Linda said...

Hi Mary, thanks for visiting my blog. I love your moon picture, especially the 'bumpy bits' at the bottom. Looks as if the moon might actually be made of cheese!

I'm really interested to see your birds - the Cardinal, Titmouse and Blue Jay are ones we don't have in Scotland, so they look very exotic to me tho perhaps they're quite ordinary? - if you can call such beautiful birds 'ordinary'!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Fabulous moon shot and, as always, your pictures of the birds are just lovely. A x

Mary said...

Lindab: These particular birds are ordinary in my area year round, but not necessarily in other parts of the USA. I never tire of them, even though they are there every day :-) The Cardinal is the "State Bird of Indiana" and most of the other states in my area, because it is so common here. I would love to know what birds are "ordinary" to where you live! I visit several good British blogs and am little by little learning about the lovely birds that you have "across the pond".

Anne: Thanks!

sandy said...

That's a great shot of the moon, and I see those craters on the bottom...nice!

Mary said...

Sandy: Thanks...I was surprised it would crop in that close and show them.

me ann my camera said...

That is a great moon shot and it looks like a map on the moon. Congratulations on the great results with your new camera!!

Mary said...

Ann: I'm trying! Lot to learn yet, if I learn some patience.