Saturday, January 24, 2009

Along the pond and creek.....

For a few hours yesterday it almost felt like spring. I didn't have a chance to go anywhere and hated to waste the day, so I went out to see what was in the backyard. The first thing I found were these "scribbles" on the ice on the pond.....hmmmmm. Maybe the animals are learning to write.....or maybe they are cracks.
At the edge of the woods the sky was reflected in the water.

The ice was definitely melting, but that just made it more interesting.

A Cardinal began alerting all the other birds that I was around. The chatter in the forsythia bushes was so loud, I thought there must be a 100 birds in there! I saw at least 20-30 sparrows and cardinals flitting in and out as I came closer....they kept moving further away.

The ivy that grows up the oak trees was the brightest spot out there.

Some interesting scat....don't know who's or what they were eating. I told Mike that it must be a slow day in "Blog Land" if I'm posting photos of scat!
We have a really weird tree that is just one burl after another. I always wonder what on earth happened to it while it was growing. If it ever falls down we will have to slice the burls and see what the wood looks like

The bark in between the burls is all stretched and scrunched giving a really weird appearance to the entire tree.

Lichen on the fallen Redbud gave me an opportunity to try the macro.

A tangle up high in one of the trees....don't think it is a nest.

An old nest in one of the maples. I was curious about all the things waving in the breeze. I put out some old thread snippings (I have tons of those), and small bits of fabric and batting last spring to see if anyone would use it in a nest. I think I see some in this one!

I relocated this shepherd hook and its feeders this morning and already a Titmouse is checking out the suet bag that was being ignored in the previous location. Need to fill that feeder he's sitting on!

22 comments:

Eve said...

These are great Mary! Love the scribbles and the sweet titmouse at the end.

Mary said...

Eve: Thanks...he looks a bit perplexed by the suet, doesn't he?

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Your pictures are so unique.I like the ice ones,and the tree certainly gives many great photo ops.Bauty is in every place and with a camera in hand we usually find it.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Ruth: I went out not expecting to find much and was surprised by what all I did see!

sandy said...

I love all the photos but that one with the reflections on the ice is gorgeous!!!

George said...

Mary, you had a very interesting walk in your back yard. Thanks for taking us along through your great pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post Mary. Isn't it amazing what winter offers that we sometimes miss??? Love the ice-melting-reflection ones. AND that 'warty' tree is almost pretty!!! You need to name him since he is so special.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Sandy: Thanks! Reflections are always fun.

George: Thanks!

Betsy: Thanks...that tree is very odd. I'm already weird enough to name squirrels...I'd better skip naming the trees :-)

Dorothy said...

Mary,
I love this collection of pictrues! Even the crack about the scat...it gave me a chuckle!!!
Keep up the good work!

Rose said...

I think I am going to have to get out in my back year if I am not careful...I don't know if I have taken any pictures all week...at least you have interesting captures.

Mary said...

Dorothy: Thanks...it seemed like a strange thing to take a photo of, but it looked intereseting.

Rose: I haven't taken a lot of photos this week either. I just started a quilt and am lost in it at the moment.

Becky said...

I can see you have plenty to look at right in your own back yard. When I have no place to go, that's the first place I look. Great shots Mary. I love that strange tree.The bark is so interesting. I've never seen scat like that either ? ? Cracks in the ice always make for super pictures.
B.

Arija said...

Your eye for natural detail is delighful. Love the ice, water, that gnarled old tree and its bark and of course your super shot of the Titmouse!

Mary said...

Arija: Thank you! I wish I could send you the water.

2sweetnsaxy said...

What interesting things you found to photograph. Loved it!
:-)

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It is amazing what you can see when you are really looking. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else I think! Wonderful photos, especially the reflection in the water and the tree. A

A Friendly Reader Only said...

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful captured moments today. I love the scribbles in the ice kinda looks like a natures etch a sketch. LOL Thanks for the visit!!

Mary said...

Thanks!

MindyLew: I like that Etch-a-Sketch comparison!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Love your macro shot!! :) Those ice pictures are terrific.

Mary said...

Joan: the lichen responded to the macro very well. I'll look forward to nicer weather to play around with it on better subjects.

A Colorful World said...

WONDERFUL photos, Mary! I loved seeing this marvelous place in its winter garb...

Thank you too for your very sweet and encouraging comments on my blog. I'm hanging in there! :-)

All my best--

Marie

Carletta said...

Not sure you'll see this. I had to laugh at the scat pic - I do believe it's wisteria seeds. I have them all over my deck.