Sunday, January 4, 2009

Squirrel Sunday.....trouble in paradise

I think I know where they get the term "a murder of crows"..........or is that, "I'd liked to murder those crows!""Hey.....go away! This is my tree! Don't make me come down there!
"Shoo.....shoo......shoo!

Crow: "I see a long pretty tail....wonder what it tastes like?"
Star: "I'm not afraid of you....well maybe a little. You're bigger than I am, you bully"


Star wins in the end.....
"I told you it was my tree!....and don't come back!"
(Thanks, Mom......I had them licked, but opening the door might have helped a little bit.)

23 comments:

Arija said...

Oh, you are a good mommy! Not butting in, just opening the door a little.
He is so cute. Must be great to have a resident squirrel.

me ann my camera said...

I see that Starr is well aware of his property rights and has laid down the law.... Happy Squirrel Sunday!

Mary said...

Arija: I try not to interfere :-) He was so funny and so upset by those crows!

Ann: So good to have you back commenting again! Star is definitely territorial!

Latane Barton said...

I am glad Star chased off those old nasty crows. Right now I have my son's yellow lab, Casey, barking at the squirrels in my yard. She's pretty relentless. I like squirrels and birds, too but the squirrels ate all our pecans last Fall. With Casey around I may get some pecans this year

2sweetnsaxy said...

That was cute. Lucky you were there to help out!
:-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Mary---what a cute post!!! I can just hear that Squirrel talking to those ole' crows!!!!!

Love the pictures and captions!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Kathy W said...

LOL what cute pics. Star has a good mama. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Rose said...

We had two dogs at one time--the one my younger daughter took home would not leave the squirrels alone. I don't know if it was Mama Squirrel or not originally, but it used to get above her and drop stuff on her. Or it would get just across the fence and tease her.

Mama Squirrel knows our old dog Shelby will not bother her...Shelby can be laying outside and Mama Squirrel will walk up to her and smell her feet as she passes by.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

That was lovely - can just imagine Starr's indignation. Showed OH and made him chuckle as well.

A x

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, Fab post! I'm feeling pretty poorly at the moment with a really bad throat and this made me smile so thank you very much!

DeniseinVA said...

I love your posts Mary. Glad Star got his tree back. I am feeling miserable with a bad cough and cold too so this made me smile too. Thank you for that. Happy New Year.

Mary said...

W. Latane Barton: Hope you get those pecans this year. I noticed all the walnuts got plucked off our trees, but we don't do anything with them.

2sweetnsaxy: Always glad to oblige my little squirrely friends.

Betsy: It was a funny morning. He's right below his suet block and was not about to let the crows get near it if he could help it.

Kathy: Thanks! He gives me so many cute photos, it is the least I can do.

Rose: Mama squirrel sounds like a real friendly one! Mine have never gotten that friendly. Funny about it dropping stuff on the dog :-)

Anne: Some days nature is funny:-) We need that!

Jenny: Sorry to hear you are not well, and glad I could give you a smile, if not a hug.

Denise:Oh, dear....Jenny sent her cold across the "big pond"? Now I'm smiling at the thought. Hope you are better soon.

The Birdlady said...

What a big smile to end my day! Thank you.

Tina said...

What a cute series of pics. enjoyed the commentary. this is my first time visiting your blog. Very nice! I enjoyed all your bird photos! I love the pics of the hawk..aren't they awesome to catch in your lens? and you skywatch photos are stunning! ;-)
Thanks.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! LOL!! You are so good at this Mary!! What a great way to start off my week by reading Squirrel Sunday!! Thanks!! Hugs!!

Mary said...

Helen: Thanks!

Tina: Thanks...come again!

Joan: I'm not always good at being funny, but Star made it easy today :-)

Becky said...

Oh Mom, you came to the rescue. Those Crows will most likely be back, now they know there is food there. No doubt you will keep law and order. Great post Mary!
B.

sandy said...

hahahaha, those darn crows!! Cute photos.

Lilli & Nevada said...

That was cute i like your story along with the photos.

Mary said...

Becky: They came back one more day and then went away again.

Sandy: Star straightened them out.

Lilli& Nevada: Thanks :-)

Eve said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! Very funny!!!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Really nice shot of your squirrel trying to control it's territory.
I saw 5 with a Blck Squirrel and was sorry later I hadn't shot them.

Mary said...

Eve: He was very upset by them...and cautious...sort of hiding behind the tree.

Fishing Guy: OH...poor black squirrel. I don't like the crows and was happy to scare them away.