I didn't get to go anywhere yesterday, since I am still sharing my car with our son. But the home birds were very accommodating and came around in large numbers.
When I first saw this female, I couldn't place her. I had not seen a female Purple Finch since last winter! She is a pretty bird and posed for several photos.
I had never noticed the slight purple cast on her feathers.
A little sloppy in her eating habits :-)
This butt view shows the slight purple on the feathers a bit more. I had other shots, but wanted to post some other birds! I get carried away with how many photos to use, as you all know by now. I just don't see how anyone posts just 1 photo.
I thought this downy looked very young and "fluffy". It just sort of hung by the suet feeder not eating, so perhaps it is a late baby hoping mom or dad would come along to feed it.
Mr. Red-Bellied stopped by.
One of the Titmice let me get a quick shot.
The railing on the deck was very busy all day and this wren was perched on the feeder when I first saw it.
This shot looked funny......like it is in mid-twist with foot going one way and body another.
Stopping below the squirrel. I had 2 squirrels on the rail and one out front.
I kept seeing Blue jays, but every time I grabbed the camera, they escaped without me getting any good photos. This was the best of the lot.
I wonder if Mrs. Cardinal knows how well she matches the branches of this Mock Orange bush?
I believe she knows I'm there.....or at least suspects it.
She was a good poser and willing to sit, which is unusual.
Mr. Cardinal peeking up at me from the front step area.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
More gorgeous shots Mary. You do have such good luck. I seem to be over run with sparrows, something I haven't had for a few years. It must have been a good breeding season last year.
I'm like you in that I take so many pictures, and have to limit the ones I post, but what fun isn't it?
Have a great day.
B.
Dear Mary,
Would you please send me two of each, preferably a pair, with the exception of Downy woodpeckers, for I have those, but all the other species are lacking.
Enviously yours in the north,
ann
Becky: I've had more Sparrows this year, too. We had a lot of baby House Sparrows last summer and apparently they all stayed around. I don't usually have that many in the winter. I know that the feed in the driveway and on the deck encourages them, but it also makes the Cardinals and Juncos happy.
Ann: I wish I could! I'm surprised that the Juncos don't spend the summer with you? I thought they were "snowbirds" that only came here in the winter mostly.
I love that Wren you have coming to visit you and that female Cardinal is sweet. Are you enjoying the new camera? (-:
You got some great bird photos. I almost never see purple finches here. If one came to the feeder I would probably miss it because I'm so used to the house finches I don't look closely at them.
Marnie
That young Downy looked so cute w/ his fluffy feathers! Loved the sharp eyed cardinals - they definitely were watching you. Hope your junco is okay! Marvelous photos!
Awesome shots, Mary. I feel sorry for the little Junco, but maybe it will be okay with having the steady supply of food at your place.
Jenny: Thanks! I always think of you with wrens :-) I like the new camera a lot, but still have so much to learn that I will have trouble absorbing with my old brain. My biggest dislike would probably be the weight...much heavier!
Marnie: I don't see many Purple Finches and seeing the female without the male really threw me until I looked it up.
Shellmo: He was very sweet looking but seemed a bit lost like the young ones always do.
Rose: I had never seen a bird with a bald neck...surely a wound and not disease...but it was eating very hardily and hopefully will get new feathers if thd cold isn't too much for it.
Mary: What a beautiful look at the neat birds. It's too bad about that Junco but that is nature and it did escape.
I hope you do see the FBHF some day. I definetly just scratched the surface.
I can see that you are going to have a lot of success with the new camera, these are great shots Mary.
Love those cardinal photos!! I take so many photos no matter where I go, but only end up posting a few. I have WAY WAY WAY too many photos in my files. So good for you, getting more than one or two posted. I enjoy them.
Fishing Guy: The junco was back today, so it is thriving despite the loss of feathers.
Roy: I keep wanting to pick your brain about settings and such! There are so many more possibilites to try and I don't really know where to start. I learn better by being shown then by reading.
Sandy: For years I tucked photos into albums....now I tuck them into a blog and at least someone looks at them! Wish it was easy to put all the old ones into the computer. I have hundreds I would like to have scanned in....some day.
With pictureslike that it is nevertoo manyI think the Titmouse is scolding the photographer.:)
Blessings,Ruth
Great photos, Mary. I really like the Cardinal pictures--especially the female. Hope your little Junco is going to be okay. It's sad to see them when they've been hurt. If he's eating, then that's a good thing.
Hugs,
Betsy
Ruth: thanks...I don't think the titmouse is the only one :-) They get tired of having a camera pointed at them all the time.
Betsy:Thanks....the female was being pretty perky and for once didn't fly away. She is often on the ground, where it is harder to get good photos. The junco is back and seem OK. Needs a muffler to warm up that bare throat :-)
You are so lucky to still have a lot of birds around Mary. I love the fluffy one.
I know what you mean about the one photograph. Who can just post one. The Downy does look like a young one, hope it does ok through this ruff weather. All the photos are great.
I do love looking at the shots of the beautiful birds that visit your garden Mary, so colourful and pretty.
We have lots of garden birds and the poor things are experiencing some very cold weather right now. We check the water several times a day (first task of the day) and keep the bird seed replenished. Roll on spring.
A x
You are so lucky to have all these bird friends that visit your feeders. Some great shots here. Thanks
Wonderful! If I could get as many good shots as you, I'd post them all, too. It'd take me a week to have as many fine ones as you do!
Excellente!
exceptional and so enjoyable as if I was there !!Sandy
Joan: Thanks....all it costs me is a huge investment in bird seed and bushes :-)
Leedra: The downy really was cute and looked so young for this time of year.
Anne: We got our first little snow today and they don't like it much. I throw out tons of bird seed for them when it is really cold and wet.
Rottlady: Thanks!
Annie: Well, I'm a bit of a fanatic when I get the camera in my hands. And you have a full-time job, which I don't.
Sandy: Thanks for stopping by!
Hi Mary,
I love to see all your birds! You have such a big variety of them!
All your pictures are good. Are you shooting from a blind or from your house? What camera and lens do you use. I would hope that someday I will be able to make pictures like yours!!!
Dorothy: I shoot from the house most of the time. If you look at the dome photo, I stand by those windows flanking the front door and my feeders are right outside. I just got a new camera and it is a FinePix S100FS. I think the closeness of the birds and the large number of pixels make the biggest difference. I can see a large improvement between the pixels in this one on most things..especially anything I have to zoom for. This camera has a very good zoom, too. I have a lot to learn about it yet. My other older FinePix, took great photos too, for anything close. This one actually has more trouble with shooting through glass then the old one...I was told because it is a better camera and sees it!
Post a Comment