
Icicles on the dome

Does this look like a happy bird?......

......how about this one???

"I think my butt is frozen to this branch".

The "polar bear club" having an outing in the birdbath......brrrrrrrrrr!

I could barely see it.... A hawk hiding in the frozen branches.....but they saw him and scattered.

White-breasted Nuthatches seem to take everything in their stride.

"Where's the microwave???.....I need to thaw this out!"

I had squirrels all over trying to get some food. Actually, I realized that their presence on the deck was keeping the cowbirds and starlings away from the back of the house and a few birds were getting seeds along with them.

Yellow gold and white gold

The wrens were around most of the day on the deck.

It manages to peck some suet out even with all the ice. I need peanut butter for those holes in the post!

"Peanut butter sounds good.....where is it???"

Two titmice enjoying a squirrel free feeder for a while.

Another "happy face"

A surprise visitor....the Brown Thrasher.....I usually only see them in the spring. I think he came too early.

Cardinal on ice.
I have lots of photos of cowbirds and starlings, but will skip those. They hung around all day. I saw one try to take that tray feeder away from the Red-Bellied woodpecker....the woodpecker won round #2 also :-)
Snapped photos in between watching Federer beat Rodick in the Australian Open. Ought to be a great final coming up soon!
14 comments:
Mary, some marvelous photography here! I got to come back later and enlarge...just stopping in for a minute right now.
Mary, Are the birds eating you out of house and home????? Ours are. I refilled all of the feeders again today. I see many more birds on snowy or rainy days. Today--it's cold (28 degrees)--but the sun is trying to shine. So I don't have as many birds right now!!!!
Can't believe you have a Thrasher up there. He must have gotten lost.
Hugs,
Betsy
Rose:Thanks, and I understand about not enough time :-)
Betsy: Yes, they are....I just got another 40lbs of sunflower seed and it will be gone by weekend. I see the Thrashers in the spring and they breed here, but not usually in the cold like this.
My goodness, these ice shots are amazing. Is this the result of an ice storm (which we never have in Scotland)? Your shots of twigs encased in ice reminded me of a poem by Robert Frost where he talks about the icy branches of a tree clicking and crazing against each other. I'll have to go and look it up!
I'd be very unhappy if I had to sit on all that ice and snow.
Lindab: Yes, we had a bad ice storm earlier in the week and then snow on top of that. The temps are on their way up, so hopefully by tomorrow much of it will be melting. I'm afraid to touch the tree branches....they break off! I'll be so glad when they thaw. Is it the poem about "stopping by a woods on a snowy evening"?
George: LOL! Sure would be uncomfortable! Poor things!
The weather is certainly not in the birds favor,tahnkfully they have you to provide easier food.
Blessings,Ruth
Wonderful shots Mary. I think I need a camera like yours!
Some of those birds are trying to fool you into thinking that they are happy. I bet their little tootsies are cold.
I'm curious if they all snuggle at night?
B.
Ruth: I'm glad that I can feed at least some of them.
Becky: I thought they all looked really miserable except maybe the nuthatch :-) How can you put up with all the snow and ice you have had????
Those titmice are so adorable sitting there. Most of these birdies look downright cold and grumpy.
Really enjoyed these.
These were great!! I'm LOL@the first two birds. They look ticked off. :-D Then, when I zoomed in on one of the shots I was taken away by the bubbles of ice around the buds on the tips of the branches, like tiny individual snowglobes. Cool!
Sandy: LOL! I think grumpy is the right expression.
2sweetnsaxy: LOL! Ticked off is a good description! Yes, we have lots of little "snowglobes" everywhere!
Mary: What a neat bunch of captures, so nicely done.
Fishing Guy: Thanks!
Post a Comment