It was warm again yesterday, so after taking some photos at home, I headed off later to the wetlands.
Mr. Red-Bellied Woodpecker likes the big suet seed block and after he gets a seed....
.....he holds it against the tree and leans way back and hammers it.
The Titmouse was enjoying a peanut. After beating on it for awhile, he finally took it and flew off somewhere.
".....uh.....am I in the right line?"
On the way to town to buy bird seed, I saw a hawk in a tree near the railroad crossing and there was a train coming, so why not stop and take photos instead? Red-tailed Hawk? Did I get it right for a change?
He was very willing to pose until I sat there a little too long and tried to advance the car a little too close.
I went to the wetlands hoping to see that Ring-Necked Duck again, since my only photo wasn't very close up. Never saw it, but all was not lost!
The usual group of Mallards were well back along the creek, but I got fairly close.
"He's kind of cute!.....Introduce me!"
Mr. Red-Bellied Woodpecker likes the big suet seed block and after he gets a seed....
On the way to town to buy bird seed, I saw a hawk in a tree near the railroad crossing and there was a train coming, so why not stop and take photos instead? Red-tailed Hawk? Did I get it right for a change?
He was very willing to pose until I sat there a little too long and tried to advance the car a little too close.I went to the wetlands hoping to see that Ring-Necked Duck again, since my only photo wasn't very close up. Never saw it, but all was not lost!
Mixed in with the Mallards were a few Shovelers!
I liked the reflections the trees were making and always think the ducks look like they are writing or drawing on the water as they swim through the reflections.
Is the one in back an immature male? It has a dark head, but not the pretty color of a breeding male, or the white sides.
One breeding male was there to compare with. The eye always looks so weird to me. I wish I had it and the male Mallard in the same shot, but it didn't cooperate.
I liked the reflections the trees were making and always think the ducks look like they are writing or drawing on the water as they swim through the reflections.
Is the one in back an immature male? It has a dark head, but not the pretty color of a breeding male, or the white sides.

23 comments:
Wow Mary, I love shovelers, but I really love turtles. Thanks for this January treat.
Tom
Tom: Every time I see a turtle I think of you :-) I was surprised to see one. I guess the warmer temps brought it out for some sun.
Out blog hopping and landed here. Love these photos, especially the reflections. I'm kind of into reflections these days. Well, that and bird photos.
Great photos as always. I really love going to the wetlands with you! The mallards are beautiful and the hawk is really cool.
Beautiful day in Indiana, Mary!! We've had some cloudy but mild weather down here. Love your 'critter' photos.
Two specific sounds that I love early in the morning:
1. My Cardinals CHIP at me at dawn--to wake me up to get their food outside (I take some of my feeders inside at nights.) I love those chip-chips.
2. Once I get the food out, the Tufted Titmice come to the feeder and PECK-PECK-PECK their food (getting it opened). I love that sound also!!!
Thanks for your great pictures this morning.
Hugs,
Betsy
You had a good day all the way around. Love the turtle, think we have all done that at times.
Beautiful photos.The first two with the Woodpecker look so bright with the sunlight.
Blessings,Ruth
Sunshine, open water, a multitude of birds .... all is frozen here with only the hardiest of birds!
Kacey: Thanks for stopping by!
Rottlady: Thanks...I just discovered these wetlands back last April and they have brought me so much joy since.
Betsy: My cardinals are always out early looking for food, too. They close me down late at night, also. Rainy today. Had hoped to go look at Snow Geese again.
Leedra: I get so focused on one thing, I ignore all else :-) Everything shows up better once you have it on the computer. Sometimes I'm shooting at quite a distance and my distance vision is not my best.
Ruth: It was nice having sunshine, because today it is gloomy and rainy again.
Cicero: I feel for you having a lot of snow and cold. I really don't deal well with cold for any length of time and I get depressed without sunshine. Here in southern Indiana, it is usually not so bad and I can endure winter. Our cold hasn't really hit yet or any snow.
Lovely series. Loved the comment 2 pair beat 2 of a kind...I bet you are quick witted.
I think that is a red shouldered hawk too...but to me, even with the books I got for Christmas, it is going to be hard to identify some of them.
Your ducks are such fun to see! Had to laugh at the female cardinal - i have one that hangs out w/ the sparrows on the ground - but if they are in a bird feeder together - then she gets possessive and pecks at them to get them off. All great photos today!
Really beautiful photographs, Mary. It's almost like a muggy day in summer today in MS.
Rose: Thanks! I'm always guessing on the hawks and never have such a perfect shot that there is no doubt.
Shellmo: Thanks! My female cardinals tend to hang out with the House Sparrows all the time.
Dorothy: Thanks...today was gloomy here and all my shots are very grey and dull and not sharp.
Yes Mary a nice red-tail! I just love the Shovelers! I'm glad you had a warm day...it's so cold here the deck is popping...sounds like gunshots!!
Mary, you have been getting some great hawk photos, with this on today to add to your collection. And, yes, I would say a Red-tailed one again. I also love all of your Shoveler pictures. That is a duck I don't often see, only if I am fortunate enough to see one as it passes through our region in the spring and it and I are by the same water patch at the same time.
Are you loving your new camera?
This camera is really doing you proud Mary. I am glad you are getting warmer weather for a while.
I say just keep enjoying that warm weather as long as you can! Each day is just one day closer to spring. We did have a sunny day here but not so warm.
I love your duck shots. That's a cool one with the male mallards green heads reflecting in the water, and it must have been really warm for that turtle to be out sunning himself.
Keep the good pictures coming my way. It makes winter go by a little faster.
B.
You've gotten some great shots on your trip to the wetlands. I'm impressed.
I so enjoy your photos and the way you present them. I always leave with a smile.
:-)
Eve: Usually when I see the hawks the light is all wrong and I don't know what to do about it. This time I got lucky and it was better situated for a photo.
Ann: Thanks! This is the first year I've ever seen a Shoveler or knew what one was. They are pretty interesting and I wish I could get even closer. I like the new camera, although it is heavier and I still have a lot more to learn. The autofocus is doing pretty well and the greater number of pixels is definitely improving my long distance photos.
George: Thanks...stop in again.
2sweetnsaxy: Thanks...I think I learned the "taking a walk" format from Sandpiper and it helps me order them at times with a minimum of words.
Joan: I like the new camera, but have not learned to utilize all it can do....may never manage that! I shot a lot this week on a setting that gave me some "rapid fire" shots and triplets with slightly different lighting.
Becky: With all the snow you have had, surely you will get some relief soon! I couldn't belive how early your winter starts and mine is more or less "yet to come". Feb, March are often our worse months. Those nice green heads on the Mallards and the male Shoveler were nice to see in the sunlight. Sun makes such a difference to photos!
The reflections in the water on some of those photos, are gorgeous!!
Sandy: That is my favorite part usually.
Post a Comment