Wednesday, January 14, 2009

3 days of left-overs.....

I've posted so many Robin and Waxwing photos the last few days that I've ignored the other birds and "critters" and have leftover photos from each day. I discovered today that squirrels will eat crab apples, too.....but I will save those for Sunday :-) This little squirrel shows a wound of some sort on its hind leg. He seemed to be having trouble getting his turn at the feeders and I have seen one squirrel being chased away, so I wonder if he got the wound in a fight. I have 5-6 squirrels right now. It doesn't seem to bother him, so I hope it is healed properly. It certainly didn't slow him down any as he did his gymnastics in the tree!
The robins are so heavy that they have trouble keeping their balance on the ends of the crab apple tree branches where the apples are. There is a lot of fluttering and falling.

Mrs Cardinal always looks so pretty at this time of year and when she poses nicely like this, it is a real treat.

One of the Goldfinches at the bottle feeder. This feeder made from a 2-liter bottle may not be the most attractive, but it always has finches or other birds sitting on it! One of my most popular feeders.

I thought I would show the Red-Bellied Woodpecker on a tree for a change, instead of just the feeders. All the woodpeckers are working on this Silver Maple....I hope that is not a bad sign and that it is so full of bugs it is dying! It looks healthy!

I will show a couple at the feeder, also. Someone asked me about the name, and in the last photo, you can see the "red belly" that is usually hidden up against the tree.
"I really do have a red belly!"
A beautiful male Towhee stopped by the other day while I was watching the Waxwings.

These forsythia bushes are right below the maple tree at the end of the drive and are a popular spot for the birds to sit when they are waiting to move into get food.

It looks like Mr. and Mrs. Robin are going out to get the mail :-)

Another photo of the lovely Mrs. Cardinal. In the evening and early morning there may be as many as 6-7 pairs in the driveway and around the feeders. They like the early and late hours best.
That's the left-overs....now I need to look for something fresh!

27 comments:

me ann my camera said...

The Townee is new. What a busy place you must have in your yard. I tried to leave a comment last night but I see it didn't make it, about all your thousands of blackbirds and everything else! Your new camera is getting great results! Happy Wednesday!

John Theberge said...

Your squirrel looks a lot fatter than mine, I guess there is a lot less for them to eat around here. Although I did notice one at the bird feeder yesterday.

Mary said...

Ann: I've had that happen with comments sometimes, too. Frustrating! Yes, the new camera is doing fine, although I'm sure the improvement right now is mainly the increased zoom and pixels.

John: My squirrels do seem fat, although this one was really getting his exercise in the crab apple tree! They do love sunflower seeds more than anything, I believe.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Mary, All are beautiful. I've never seen the Towee before..Gorgeous!!!! Love the looks of the female Cardinals this time of year. I posted about woodpeckers this morning..

Where in Indiana are you? George's mother was born and raised in Winslow..

Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

I was just thinking this morning, that things have changed around our area. I used to have many different species of winter birds, but in the past 5-8years, many of them no longer show up.I keep a record of each year, and the ones that are here. No longer do I see Evening Grosbeaks, Redpolls, Red Breasted Nuthatches, White throated, and White Crowned sparrows, Carolina Wrens, and even the Chipping sparrows have all left. Maybe they don't like my menu.
Oh well, at least I have your fabulous photos to look at and drool. LOL
B.

linda said...

Love the towhee, have one female spotted towhee lurking in my rosemary shrub most days.
I had an injured squirrel in my yard the other day.I get squeemish thinking about him. It looked as if the fur had been stipped from the tail cartilage. He chased after other squirrels but none of them wanted to play.

Mary said...

Betsy: I am in Evansville in the southern "toe" of the state. Winslow is not very far away.

Becky: I have noticed changes, too. Mostly in numbers. I think the weather patterns have changed a lot and people destroy so much habitat. Did you always have such cold winters as this one and do you see other weather changes?

Linda: I usually have a pair or two of Towhees in the winter, but this is the first I've seen him so far this year. I was glad that this squirrel injury didn't look too recent or raw. I had a cat with a very similar looking injury and of course I can't catch the squirrel to see that he gets antibiotics :-) Guess it is up to nature to provide those! I don't know why the other squirrels chase him away but he is spunky.

Jenny said...

I love your leftovers Mary! That Towhee is very smart looking, and Mrs Cardinal is very sweet.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Left-overs of this sort are great.THe female Cardinal looks so pretty.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

Mary, I love your left-overs. You can serve them any day!

Mary said...

Jenny, Ruth, George: Thanks! I kept skipping over these because I had so many waxwings I wanted to post. Now, I'm caught up, so I have to get busy and take something new.

Kerri Farley said...

These are beautiful Mary! Amazing shot of the Towhee!! They are so lovely!

Q said...

Dear MAry,
I am so enjoying the winter birds this year, yours and mine. I have never seen a Towhee. I would love too. Very handsome bird.
The waxwings are also wonderful. So far I have not seen any in my area. Maybe I will later in the season. Lovly leftovers.
Sherry

Dorothy said...

What a beautiful header!! THe Cedar Waxwing is one of my favorites! All are beautiful pictures!!

The Birdlady said...

The pictures are all great - love the variety, and it's good to see a towhee - they are around here in the summer.

Rose said...

Do robins stay at your house all year long? They have been long gone here.

Nice shots, before I forget to say that.

Mary said...

Keri: He was one of the most vivid looking Towhees I have seen. Very strong color!

Q: It's been a good bird year so far! Hope you get some waxwings. These were my first!

Dorothy: Thanks, they certainly are pretty birds.

Helen:This was my first Towhee this season. I usually have a couple pair in winter.

Rose: I don't remember having Robins in winter before, but we have milder winters then you do, so maybe they have been here and I just didn't see them at my house.

Shelley said...

That female cardinal is a real beauty! And nice to see the Towhee - a bird I've never seen before (I dont think we have them here in Mich.) HOpe that squirrel heals up. All nice photos!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is a brilliant capture of the robin Mary. Well done!! I look forward to Sundays pics again. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely bird photos..and your lucky birds aren't dealing with snow. There was sleet and then bitter cold which froze the hinges on 2 of my feeders and made a frozen mush out of some of the others..That was work..

Leedra said...

Another great series of birds. Like the towhee, never seen one anywhere but on the ground.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Photography By Leedra

2sweetnsaxy said...

Your photos never disappoint. :-) It bothers me to see wounded animals. I hope he heals.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely leftovers! A x

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat captures, especially like the Towhee. I never saw one around here.

Mary said...

Shellmo: Thanks...the Towhee is really a pretty bird.

Joan: Thanks...The Star is ready :-)
Rambling Woods: Sounds like your weather is terrible. Ours is really cold right now, but no snow.

Leedra: I usually only see them on the ground or on the deck.

2sweetnsaxy: I hate to see the wounded, too. I always wish there was something I could do.

Anne: thanks...left-overs are Ok when you've got nothing else.

Fishing Guy: I'm surprised how many have said they don't have Towhees where they are. I would think they are in your area somewhere.

Eve said...

I just LOVE that Towhee Mary!

Mary said...

Eve: I wish it would come back...it was lovely and so bright!