It seemed like I ended up with a lot of shots of "duos" and of Pine Siskins over the weekend.

2 female Cowbirds.....Mike took this when I wasn't looking and I couldn't figure out where it came from..... it's not nice to mess with an easily confused mind!

2 Goldfinches....."Come here often?"

2 Pine Siskins on the thistle seed bag

2 squirrels on the rail.....

......2 more in the Maple tree. I had a total of 8 out there most of the day Saturday!
The Pine Siskins showed up in a fair number and hogged the thistle bag all day.

I like the way they sort of make a ring around it :-)

Four was the most that could crowd on to the bag without someone getting upset.

"You looking at me?"

There was much fluttering and changing of places....

......resulting in some odd wing shots.......

....some nasty behavior and squabbles....

....floating.
They are a pretty little bird and it was nice to have a lew of them to watch and study. To me they always look like striped Goldfinches and the two are very similar in habit and tastes.
21 comments:
Love your 'pairs' shots. More birds that are unfamiliar to me - what a great opportunity to see something of the diversity that exists.
Love those Siskins Mary!
Another great batch of photos, I can hear the bluejays squawking at my feeder as I type this. I find them to be a bigger pain than the squirrels.
Lindab:Thanks! I get a great variety in the winter months.
Eve: They are cute but nasty to each other when they want on the bag.
John: At least they are a pretty pest! I've got a couple bluejays hanging around and one mean mockingbird, but they can't eat a lot of what is out there and spook pretty easily.
Nice shots - I like them too.
Great captures....LOVE that last one floating! He looks like an angel with his wings spread like that :)
Great pairs you got there. I've had Pine Siskins visiting and didn't even know what they were, so thanks for identifying them for me.
Great shots! I'm ordering a squirrel-proof niger feeder from Helen. The squirrels have already destroyed 2. One they totally took off the hook and ATE THE PLASTIC, then all the seed. The little devils!
Mary--love your 'pair' pictures!!!! Our Pine Siskins do exactly the same thing at our thistle bag. They fight for their spot on that bag!!!! It's fun to watch them!!!
Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy
Great pictures. Your husband is braver than I am -- I wouldn't dare touch Betsy's camera!
Wonderful bird shots in action! I loved the second pic with a pair of goldfinches the most.. busy busy birdies I just can't stop looking at the one to the left.. such a face!
I'm amazed you get two squirrels at a time. Our squirrels are VERY territorial and only one squirrel per territory or BIG squirrel vs squirrel wars.
Helen: I like their touch of yellow.
Keri: I thought that one was neat even though it is not focused well.
Rottlady: Glad to identify them for you!
Annie: My squirrels show no interest in Niger seed...or the plastic :-) Maybe that's a difference in squirrel types. My Fox squirrels definitely prefer black oil sunflower over everything else!
Betsy: I think the Pine Siskins seem "meaner" to each other then the Goldfinches..those pointy little beaks are great to poke other birds with.
George: It was funny because I sat there at the computer trying to remember when I took the photos?? I knew I had photographed 1 Cowbird, but not 2! We share the cameras, although I have first dibs on the new one :-)
Aluajala: They do seem to have personalities at times :-)
Cicero: I've seen one squirrel being chased off and there seems to be a "pecking order" at times, but I have a lot of feeders and they seem to share the general area willingly enough. Maybe they are mated couples, or siblings.
Mary: What a wonderful post on all your visitors. I did like 'You looking at me?' best of the shots.
Fishing Guy: That one made me laugh! He looked so unruly! Sort of a punk hairdo.
Great shots... and love the squirrels. I've actually been putting out nyjer again and my goldfinch are back but I haven't taken any photos yet.
Great series of pictures! I like seeing the ones that I don't have here!
Neat shots.I have found that the Siskins do not share very well.
Blessings,Ruth
Beautiful shots of the Siskins Mary. They do argue so much and spend a great deal of time flying around.
Sandy, Dorothy, Ruth, Becky: Thanks! The Siskins certainly seem more territorial and non-sharing then the Goldfinches who are little "eating machines" that just go about their business wherever there is an empty spot. Maybe there is a lesson there for all of us....if you "play nice" you get more done.
I always love your bird and squirrel pictures. The birds kind of avoid our house because of the cats who hang around. You have a lot of interesting species who visit.
Post a Comment