Sunday, January 11, 2009

Squirrel Sunday.....

(These photos are from a month ago at Wesselman Park)
The squirrels at Wesselman Park practice some sort of "Corn Yoga". I really didn't understand it all.The simpliest of postures is the "one-paw-sit" corn meditation
With one paw firmly on the corn you bend and flex however necessary to eat as you meditate. Very common and most squirrels are very good at it.

This is a much more advanced posture....."Head-t0-corn" while hanging.

Place head against corn.......

....close eyes and meditate on what you eat. Hmmmm...I think if I tired this one, I might lose a lot of weight. Might be a good idea after the holidays.

This final maneuver is very tricky.....a "paw stand"

I think it is wise that "the Star" hasn't taken up this crazy practice. He'd fracture something for sure! In truth......I think he is too lazy to try and he doesn't like corn much.

24 comments:

Don Wood said...

next time we have corn I will try that manuver. Yeah I can see me doing that.I cant even stand up today. still looking at your piccies makes me smile. XXX Don

Arija said...

Nothing like a bit of meditation while you limber up, especially with a handy food source to replenish your energy!

Mary said...

Don: Sorry that today is a bad day for you. Hope you feel better later. Will pray for you.

Arija: Meditation, exercise, healthy food.....hmmmm...I think that's been recommended by experts. Maybe squirrels are smarter then we are :-)

me ann my camera said...

I was really a yoga illiterate until I read this! Great visual to go with the explanations! Happy Squirrel Sunday.

Mary said...

Ann: He was so funny to watch as he maneuvered around :-) Mine have more room to sit behind the corn and never go through all these gyrations.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how sweet Mary. I love the one where he is meditating!!!Too Cute.. You gotta love 'em--even though they do get into the bird food. Ha!!!!

Thanks for the camera info. Yours does take GREAT pictures.

Have a wonderful day. Check out my blog. I have a 'birdbath story to tell'
Hugs,
Betsy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat squirrel capture and what great yoga posing.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

A very talented squirrel for sure.
Blessings,Ruth

Anne på Moseplassen said...

amazing storytelling as usual :D You have imagianation for sure!

And my little fellow is back! It helped to complain ;) I did manage to scare him pretty bad thoug, so I hope it wont take him three more months to return again....

Cicero Sings said...

Too funny Mary. The picture, meditating upside down takes the cake.

George said...

I didn't realize squirrels were so meditative. This one has obviously been practicing for quite a while.

Jenny said...

I'm trying to decide which is best, the squirrels yoga technique or your imagination! I think your imagination wins hands down! (-:

Emily said...

How I do love your squirls! Over here they are rare... sigh! You catch them so candidly too!

Becky said...

Mary, this is a riot. These squirrels are TOO funny, and your narration is perfect. It made my day!
B.

sandy said...

Enjoyable!!!

Unknown said...

Those are great photos, looks like he is giving thanks!

Anonymous said...

Such adorable squirrel photos Mary! He really is enjoying that ear of corn :-)

Mary said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and putting up with my weird humor! I've been busy trying to get the Christmas tree down all day....still standing there...and taking the photos you will see tomorrow.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You "squirrel Sunday" is just the tonic I need to start off my Monday morning Mary. LOL!! This is really tough exercise and I am not surprised Star does not try it. I would break something too. LOL!! LOL!!

Mary said...

Joan: Squirrels have a way of picking out the most awkward looking ways to eat at times! I might break something just watching :-)

Leedra said...

Squirrels are so entertaining. Could watch them for hours.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Photography By Leedra

Rose said...

Corn is always the last choice here, too, but is fine when nothing else is offered.

abb said...

If they'd only eat the corn and not all the bird seed...they are so irritating!

Mary said...

Leedra: Thanks!

Rose and Annie: I guess at the Nature Center they are less spoiled than my home squirrels. Mine ignore the corn most of the time.