While watching the Sapsucker in this maple tree the last couple of days, I have come to realize that it is where all the best birds store their seeds in their little "deposit boxes" under the bark and just generally hang out!
The tree stands at the end of our driveway very close to our property line with a line of pine trees belonging to the neighbor right behind it and a row of Forsythia bushes next to it. Great cover for all the birds!
I watched the Sapsucker for about an hour going up and down the limbs over and over either checking for bugs or perhaps stealing the seeds the other birds were hiding.
"Who me....steal seeds? I don't think so".
This is still a very new bird for me, so I take lots of photos! All the woodpeckers stop in this tree sooner or later. Doing some research tells me that having a Sapsucker is not necessarily a good thing. They can do a lot of damage!
I am finally seeing the red parts on the head better and the pale yellowish belly that I assume gives it its name.
They have a "dirty" look to them after the crisp white of the Downy and Red-Bellied!
I was very surprised to see this visitor to the maple....a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, I think!
A Titmouse checking his "deposit box" for seeds.
"I know I put that seed in here somewhere!!! Who stole my seed?"
26 comments:
Wow, great pictures. Can't get enough of it, just love birds!
Fantastic Mary...Love the brown creeper surprise!
It's a wonder you dont get sunflowers growing in that tree in the spring!!!
Dirk: Thanks! Glad you stopped by!
Eve: First Creeper I've seen in a year...only second ever. LOL! I get them growing all over the ground under my feeders instead and just let them grow! I think I will plant a row of them somewhere this year.
A wonderful post, ohotos, birds and commentary. Just great.
Arija: Thanks!
Now this is a great post...love the First Maple Savings and Loan. And the burly security guard is great, too!
mary, this 'branch' has lots of customers it seems. Great theme for the delightful pictures. I like Sapsuckers, tho I only seem to see them in the spring and fall. Perhaps they are the ones just passing through. And I know what you mean by their 'dirty' colour. Their features seem to blend in more than be outstanding.
Hope you're knee is feeling better. Its so great when things can be done to relieve pain. Have a great day!!
fascinating bird pictures you got here. I find some pictures quite candid especially the one that you love where the bird seems to be looking for his hoard of seeds.
Great post of all of the birds, Mary. Looks like you got some new ones to add to your list!!!! That tree must be perfect. We have an empty lot next to us--and there are lots of trees and shrubs where our birds can 'hide their stashes.'
Hugs,
Betsy
Rose: I have my doubts about the guard....he may be the worst theif of all!
Ann: I had never really watched the birds stashing and searching for their seeds before. Shows I need to get out of the house more instead of just standing at the window :-) I guess that dirty color of the sapsucker helps it blend in.
Marites: Thanks for stopping by! It was a busy day out there.
Betsy: Bird behavior is so fascinating when you can take time to watch them. I loved it when we had empty lots next to us. Ah, well..can't stop progress?
Funny how they hide their seeds ... like the squirrel hides its seeds and nuts ... I always wonder if they find their little deposits after!
Cicero: Good question! They seemed to go to the same places a lot while I was watching them.
This bank looks like it is very busy.I like all the different pictures,showing how the birds forage for food.
Blessings,Ruth
Great post Mary. I think the sapsucker is very handsome. A x
Thanks for sharing The First Maple Savings and Loan with us. It certainly has some interesting customers and you got great pictures.
I think I'd trust that "S&L" more than any other one!
Neat photos!
I bet you didn't know that today is officially "Squirel Apriciation Day"?
Ruth: Thanks...they were busy out there and the sun was shining.
Anne: It is rather a different looking woodpecker. I'm so used to the Downy and REd-Bellied.
George: I guess the economy for the animal world is pretty good here :-)
Annie: Thanks...me too.
Mike: REAlly? I wish I had known that sooner! We had 6 in the front yard today. So I guess they were looking for some apprciation!
Wow, what a great collection Mary.
Roy: Thanks! Even though I was freezing, it was nice sitting out there watching them and taking the photos without windows in between. Our garage faces this tree, so I get a lawn chair and sit there just inside the garage and they ignore me.
Mary, this is a riot! I love your story.
You have such a great collection of winter birds. How lucky you are. I need to move South!
B.
Becky: If I had all your snow, I would not even think twice about moving south! I like it here because we have all 4 seasons, but no extremes for any length of time.
Well I hope that they found their seeds and did not blame the security guard for aking them. LOL!! A lovely set of images again Mary.
Lovely post. So many different birds. I noticed your sapsucker is a male. Think mine is a female. Although from the look of the damage to the tree I probably have more than one.
Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra
Joan: Not a security guard that I'd put my trust in.
Leedra: I had a juvenile, too, so I assume there was a family of them. I think I saw the female once.
I didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel appreciation day. I'm in the process of making a new squirrel feeder. I'll post about it soon.
Post a Comment