Friday, October 31, 2008

Only the Shadow knows....

(SkyWatch Friday below)
No spooky Halloween stories, but I thought I'd share a couple of photos of "Shadow"..the mystery kitty, since he is a nice Halloween black. I have no idea where Shadow lives (or his real name) but he shows up at my house once very 3-4 months. If he wasn't so friendly and healthly looking, I would swear he lived in the wild.
He first came to my house as a little kitten....I caught him sleeping in our warm garage in the winter and wondered why he had no warm bed of his own! I always left a little food because I was worried about him.

He is a beautiful cat and I would cheerfully adopt him if I didn't already have 3 who do NOT want any more cats to live here! Plus, I assume that somewhere he has a home. He doesn't belong to anyone on our street, so he must come across the fields when he is really hungry or wants a warm place to sleep....he knows I'm an easy touch! He has been visiting the last 3 days.

11 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Shadow is a very handsome cat. We have taken strays in before when we used to have cats of our own, now we have two regulars which are not ours but they pass through our yard daily but we don't open our door to them fd55grany more.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Reminds me of a black cat stuffed animal I made a while back. The fur looks just as soft and shiny as the one I made.

abb said...

Tally-WHO-who?!?!?!?! Where are you??!!!?!
We had the most wonderful cat ever put on this earth. Babies came in the house, they'd pull his tail...he'd just look pleadingly at us to save him. He never scratched anyone in all the years he graced us with his presence. After about a year of living here (our daughter's college cat, he was 2 when he came to us), we began to have neighbors call us telling Tally stories. On neighbor said every morning at 9:00 Tally would show up at their back door and meow. He knew he'd get breakfast there. Another neighbor told us how Tally let his displeasure be known when he traveled to their home and found the garage door wasn't cracked open the normal 4" for their cat (who had just died). They left the door cracked from then on. Two Novembers ago, Tally took to his daily wander...and never came back. I still expect him to wander back to us any day now. And I do hope, tho a shallow hope it is, that he's found such a wonderful new home he just decided not to come back. (sigh)
Bless you for loving that cat!

Rose said...

I think one of our cats has a second home for sure...and we used to have a cat that would come and spend days with us. We knew his owner though. She would get to missing him and call to see if he was staying with us...so I love hearing other's stories.

Mary said...

I love hearing your cat stories! He may very well be like Annie's cat and going from place to place for free handouts. I worry about Shadow trying for my birds if he's really hungry. He always comes to the front porch where the feeders are. Mike says he sees him hanging around down by the creek. I would not be surprised to find out that he lives in one of the 2 old sheds we have down there, but if he lives and eats wild he does a good job of it. Maybe that is why I never see bunnies any more....hmmmm.

Becky said...

What a beautiful cat! Just right for Halloween. My sister has adopted a feral cat! A calico she has named Callie. She already has 2 other house cats that do NOT want another mouth competing for kitty food! Anyway the cat comes when called and my sister is working on taming her before winter. This gal appears to be this years kitten, and most likely hasn't spent a winter alone outdoors. I've wished her lots of luck. LOL She wants to take her to the vets to get her shots, and spayed. I can see it now. Trying to lure her into a cat carrier won't be an easy chore. So far this cat will let my sister hold her, and does show up every night for food. Apparently there are several feral cats in the neighborhood too.

Cicero Sings said...

A lovely all black cat. It does look too well cared for not to have a home. It's playing a Halloween trick on its folks!!! ... and getting it's treats at your house.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Some cats are like this for some strange reason. Plus the fact he can count on a free meal when he passes by on his travels. :)

Mary said...

Becky: I know what you mean about the other cats. Hopey happened to be outside yesterday and she was trying to intimidate Shadow and make him feel unwelcome...didn't work. I feed him on the far side of the garage away from the birds and my cats. If your sister can pick the cat up, she ought to be able to stuff it in a cat carrier eventually. I find it works best to get the scruff of the neck and drop them in hind feet first as they curl up!

Cicero: He was back for more "treats" this morning and realy seems hungry.

Joan: I feel sorry for him and wish I knew where he belonged.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Feed them and they will come.

Mary said...

Fishing Guy: I know :-) But he truly seems to be starving whenever he arrives and attacks his food like he hasn't had a meal in weeks. He's been here 4-5 days in a row which is highly unusual. Normally he only comes begging once every 3-4 months!