Saturday, October 4, 2008

Looking for signs of Fall.....

My October bird count only added one bird today, but here are 4 of my visitors. Mrs. Downy stopped in for a snack.

I wish this was not over-lit, but don't know how to fix it. I was really surprised that the young cardinal was brash enough to try to share suet with the Red-Bellied Woodpecker! She let him.....which surprised me even more!

One of the Carolina Wrens tried the suet, too.

I decided to go over to the nature preserve at the church and see if I saw any interesting signs of Fall yet.

One trail was blocked by huge trees brought down by Ike, probably. So I took the lower trail. I loved this one fallen tree that had row after row of fungi on it! Really neat and decorative looking.
A close up......all sizes and shapes.

There were a couple of fallen logs with holes in them that were probably once home to woodpeckers or some other animal. I peeked inside and there were half eaten hickory nuts.

A feather. I did see a couple of birds but they were too far away for pictures.

There were hickory nuts of all sizes. I brought a few home in my pocket for "the Star"....think he will appreciate them?? Probably not. He prefers the big suet cake on the ash tree, which is why he never comes to the other feeders where I can get better photos. Hmmm.....maybe I'll have to take away that feeder and lure him in.

An emptied nut. I use to love to collect and eat hickory nuts when I was little. Sweetest nuts around, but so much work to get the meat out.

A large moss covered rock collecting anything that falls.

I had to look high where the sun shown to find any color. It is early here for color yet. End of the month will be the prime time.

Some color against the blue sky as I came out of the woods.

Small and crooked, tall and straight!

Nice vines to add interest.

A summac on the edge of the cemetery.

Some strange fungi on a tree stump. It reminds me of the foam insulation stuff my husband uses to fill holes! Hard as a rock to touch. It looked unnatural somehow.

A gazebo at the edge of the cemetery had this nest way up at the top. I'll have to remember to check there next spring for occupants!

Not much Fall evidence yet, but a nice walk :-)

15 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a really neat view of the birds of your area.

Mary said...

Fishing Guy: Thanks!

2sweetnsaxy said...

What a great series of shots. One of these days I'd like to post shots of birds in my yard but I guess I have to get them here first. :-) Loved taking the walk with you. Thanks for sharing those.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

AGain, I have to say that we miss coming to your blog. My mom has been so busy, and is starting a new job this Monday, and she will be gone all week. Your photos are lovely! We have not tried to put out a suet feeder yet here at our new house.....maybe the birds here would like it better than at our old house!
Thanks for reading about the Chile Dogs. You are right....the people reading my blog won't be able to help most likely. Very sad about how many animals are unwanted in the world. It breaks our hearts.
Thanks for reading!
--JB and JB's mom

The Birdlady said...

Looking for signs of fall? Well, you found them. Thanks for sharing.

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Beautiful and interesting photos Mary. I too am surprised that a red-bellied let that cardinal take some suet. They are the only birds able to stand up to the starlings and grackles. Do you participate in Cornell's Project Feeder Watch?. Michelle

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A very interesting one Mary. That sure is a tall and straight tree. I sincerely hope Star said 'thank you' and appreciated his meal.

abb said...

Eating hickory nuts! Boy, does that bring back memories! My grandmother made the best hickory nut cookies. I can remember cracking and picking out the meat. A lot of work, but the resulting cookie was just wonderful. Thanks for the memories.
Not much fall here yet, either.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lovely photos.I like the different angles,probably because this is the kind of pictures I like to take.We have lots of fall color.Took about 100 pics this morning,now I just need to edit them so I can post some.Enjoy your blog.

EG CameraGirl said...

Thank you for taking us on such a fun walk. You live in such a nice area!

Cicero Sings said...

I'm back from holidays and catching up on your blog. My you've been busy girl! Such a plethora of pictures and busy happenings of all the critters. Loved your cat and mouse errr, squirrel story ... or is that Mouse and Squirrel story ... or ....

Anonymous said...

The Autumn colours are coming in to their own now Mary, brilliant.

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: Getting there is the easy part :-)

JB: I hope you have better luck with the suet this time. I guess my birds aren't picky...just hungry.

Helen: Thanks!

Michelle: The red-bellied is not usually that nice! I've seen them "goose" other birds to make them leave. I'll check out that site you mention.

JOan: the "Star" never says thanks.

Annie: I'm not surprised coming from Missouri that you are another hickory nut lover :-) Never managed to eat them in anything with out a few little bits of shell. So hard to get them out!

Ruth: will look for your fall photos!

Eg tour guide: Thanks!

Cicero: I've been behind, too. Maybe we made a mistake naving our cat, "Mouse"....I think it warped her personality :-)

Roy: I'm anxious for more color to get here!

Becky said...

I love ALL your pictures. There is so much fungi around here too. I had planned to do a post on it, but so far haven't gotten around to it.
We have a box full of Black Walnuts we collected last Fall, and haven't cracked them yet. They are the worse to do I think.
I'd like to do the Bird Count, but not enough variety yet.

Mary said...

Becky: You have a whole month! Go ahead and sign up for the bird count! I've pretty much exhausted my list of regulars already on the first day :-)