(My SkyWatch Friday post is below this one.)
The Pine Siskins showed up this morning, just in time to make the October count! I always think they look like striped Goldfinches and they hang out together and act a lot a like.

Boy, was I excited to get to count this Bluebird! I don't see them very often.

Eastern Bluebird enjoying the fountain.


I decided that since my Goldfinch count is now up to about 70 a day, I needed more feeders.
They seem to approve! I hung one of these in the front.....

....and another over the deck. I also added another upside down feeder, making 2 of those! There are so many Goldfinches out there right now that they are keeping the others birds away!
20 comments:
Oh lucky you! A Bluebird! I seldom see them and never at this time of year. And a Pine Siskin too! I had Pine Siskins in September but they have deserted me this October. I started using some of those feeder bags last winter and they were really popular. Congratulations on addig two more to your list!
Wow, you do have a lot of birds.I have never used one of those bag feeders,but it looks like I need to try one.
These are really great. Must be nice to get so many birds in your yard. I'm determined to work on that in my own. :-)
We had thought that the Pine Siskins had moved on, south. Whew, I was running out of seed ... But today a huge flock descended.
Very good blog, with marvellously posts and beautiful photographs! Congratulations!
We get about 50 goldfinches and 40 European siskins which look a little different to the pine ones.Beautiful aren't they.
Mary: You certainly have a feeder full of finches. Say that three times real fast.
I've only had one pine siskin here...they are hard to ID with the goldfinches...you have to look twice. I had 3 bluebirds passing through today and two bald eagles! It was a very good day!
A Bluebird at this time of year. Wow. I haven't seen them around here since Spring. Being at the right place at the right time is everything. Of course they all seem to love that fountain which I think is so unique.
Pine Siskins don't show up here till winter. sigh! I'll be waiting.
Ann: I was suprised to see the bluebird! I seldom see one, since I offer neither housing or mealworms for them :-) I always have Pine Siskins in the winter, but today was their arrival day. This brings me up to 20 birds for the count....of course 2 of them are only partly identified (the hawk and the warbler).
Ruth: I hadn't used them either, but obviously they are popular if you have goldfinches!
2sweetnsaxy: If it wasn't for my feeders, I would never have any decent bird photos!
Cicero: When they mix in with the goldfinches it can be confusing, but I always have more gold than pine.
Kostas: Thanks for stopping by!
Babooshka: Yes, I love both!
Fishing Guy: Ah..feeder finch....maybe I'll pass :-) I have even more at the "Driveway Diner".
Eve: I can't even imagine living where bald eagles "pass by"...wow!
Becky: I don't usually have the bluebirds either....they all stay at Helen's house looking at her blog :-) Today was the first day for the Pine siskins to show up.
Island Rambles: I'm thrilled that the feeder birds are starting to pick up in number....even though they cost me a fortune in food!
That Bluebird is beautifull!! :) I wish we had them here.
Nice lot of images Mary. Your Siskins are a bit like ours.
Joan: They are beautiful and if you want to see a lot more go back through Helen's site...she has the greatest photos of them young!
Roy: We seem to have a lot of similar birds....makes you want to know more about how the differences developed and why.
That looks like a fun goldfinch feedere. Maybe we should try one.
--JB
I don't see the Bluebird on your October count! That is a good one and really neat that you get them at you place.
Oh, wait. I see it...
JB: Definitely! Jellybean would be entertained for hours on end with lovely friends.
NW Nature Nut: You think I would forget to add every bird possible....when I'm so far behind some of you ?? No way! I'm desperately searching for birds and ways to lure them in :-)
Love that bluebird!! Great shots!
That eastern bluebird on the fountain is so pretty.
Post a Comment