The Mallards that I've been posting, were in the company of a large gaggle of geese.
How many geese in a gaggle?
I have no idea, but there were several dozen in this group.

Some of the group

I didn't know that a goose's eyelid was white, until I saw this photo!

She closes her eyes while she is cleaning.

Goose, with side handle :-)

Pensive close-up

Snoozing....there's that white eyelid again! I wonder...do their bills get cold? Is that why they bury them in their feathers??

Headless goose! Looks a bit like a Thanksgiving turkey!

This was interesting.....she would immerse herself completely and then pop back up! It was hard to capture. I tried to crop it closer to show the water droplets more, but it loses its clarity.
OK....I promise no more water fowl for awhile unless I get really desperate for birds to post!
9 comments:
Lovely series Mary. They are beautiful birds.
Great shots of the geese!!
Oh Mary, that last picture is great...you get the feeling of being right there and seeing her actually pop up.
I like your water fowl!
great photos.
Awesome pictures.I too learned this year that they have a white eyelid.Never too old to learn,I guess.
Wonderful close up pictures of the geese! It's nice to be able to study them in detail - I didn't know that about their eyelid either. If you post photos of water fowl I'LL look at them - I think they're great birds.
April: Thanks! It seems like that is all I've posted the last few days and I do want to get back to my "home birds"...and the count that is going to end soon. I think they are lovely, too and appreciate any opportunity that allows me to study any bird more closely. I think the white eyelid seems strange on the black head!
You can post all the water fowl you want to. I love it. We never get that close to any around here. I love the white eye lid. Marvelous pictures!
Cute catch on the Goldfinch too.
Wow. These are great! :-)
Post a Comment