
I'm excited to take part in this new meme! For my first "My World Tuesday" post, I'll introduce you to Willard Library in Evansville, Indiana where I live.

This wonderful historic library is the oldest public library in Indiana. It was build and donated by Willard Carpenter, a local philantropist and opened in 1885. It has a nice park area surrounding it even though located right on the edge of the busy downtown.

I love all the archtectural details both inside and out.



Right inside the main entrance is this wonderful wooden staircase. Evansville has a history connected with logging and furniture manufacturing. All of the gorgeous woodwork was actually done by machine and not by hand (although I think it looks hand carved!)

View from the top floor down.

Beautiful details everywhere!

The tops of the long windows......

Beneath the windows.

The main floor is the adult reading area and was remodeled a few years back with new shelves for the stacks and new paint and lights. The old card file is gone and the comfortable leather chairs and long library tables. Libraries have to move on with the times. I always enjoyed this library for its wonderful "old fashioned" feel and the old books that I couldn't find anywhere else. I discovered a lot of wonderful authors among these stacks....P.G Wodehouse, Gladys Tabor, Gerald Durrell, J.J. Marric, Helen Hanff, Miss Read, and so many more that no one bothers with any more.

The upstairs is the Genealogy study area which is a great source of information.

The basement is the Children's room and these stained glass windows are much more modern than the original building!

One of the Children's Librarians started a tradition of an Easter Egg tree back in the 50's and created over 2000 eggs based on popular characters from fiction! Every year a few are hung on a tree in the main room. The rest are stored in this display case in the basement.
The one thing that I can't show you is the Willard Library Ghost!
Yes.....I said ghost!
She is known as "the Grey Lady" and she is famous. Here is the link to the web site with more information about the ghost and the ghost cams. Every year at this time, there are countless "Ghost Tours" given and renewed interest in our local ghost. She's been featured on TV and in newpapers and the web. I've never seen her myself, but I haven't looked too hard :-)
http://www.willardghost.com/index.php?content=homeCheck out "My World Tuesday" for more wonderful posts!
Click on the icon on my post or on my sidebar.
Thanks to Klaus and the others for this great new idea!
47 comments:
That's a beautiful library. Thank you for the tour!
Fanastic pics, what a beautiful building. Thanks for sharing!
Cheers
http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/
Mary: What a neat start for your My World tour. I remember this place from TV.
I saw a group go in and look for the Grey Lady but they couldn't find her.
I want to come visit your library! I can spend way too much time in one though. This is a beautiful building...so glad you showed it to us.
At first glance I thought this was a church. Then I started reading. That has to be one of the most beautiful libraries I have ever seen. Thank you for the guided tour!
What beautiful architecture - the grand old type!
The wood is magnificent inside. A nice place to float around if you were a ghost. :)
I enjoyed this tour Mary.
This meme is certainly taking us to so many unexpected and wonderful places like yours.
Beautiful photos. What a lovely, historical place to have in your town. And yes, the architecture IS fabulous!
What a fun thing ... a library with a ghost and web cams to try and spot her!
Great architecture. I write about our area most every day so didn't join this meme.
What a wonderful tour! I have a huge egg collection and the ones at the Willard I would LOVE to see! How neat. Love old buildings like this one. Perfect My World entry, Mary.
This is fabulous - I love the architecture! The workmanship is beautiful. Truly a wonderful library - it looks like a lot of care goes into keeping it well-maintained and pleasant for everyone. Thanks for showing us around.
I could spend some serious time in your beautiful library. The wood work is warm and friendly and conducive to browsing among the books and finding that special one, especially with the incentive of a ghosly presence.
Wonderful post. I am all agog to see your offering nexr week.
What an impressive library, you are lucky to have such a wonderful building to visit. Thanks for the tour.
Wow, that is one ornate library.
Fabulous vitrual tour of your magnifcient part of the world.
What a wonderful place this is!! Its full of beauty everywhere and how wonderful it must be to wander around within the 'library quiet' and just feast your eyes. I often go to our closest library and browse, how I would enjoy doing that in yours.
ann
Stuning pics and buildings Mary, Mike.
That's quite a building -- they sure don't make them like that anymore...
Shhh....
That is a wonderful building! And you make a great showing of it!
Thank you for sharing!
Cheers, Klaus
I'm going to enjoy this meme because it gives me an opportunity to show more of my world than the nature that I show every day :-) Even though the nature opportunities are my favorite parts, Evansville is a wonderful city to live in.
My goodness!! I sure am on the tail end of this one today Mary!! LOL!! WHat a wonderful old building, they sure do not make them like this anymore. That wood is magnificent!!
Such a beautiful building. Libraries are my favorite places.
Marnie
Just a beatiful house - it could be wonderful to walk there around and also feel the odor of books and wood - thank you for sharing this with your nice pics:)
What a beautiful building and look at those stained glass windows!! Wonderful shots. Thank you so much for sharing these!
:-)
I would have recognized that library even if you hadn't told us what it was... I've seen several ghost photos from there, and watched the webcams...
Beautiful!
Prairie Visions
What a beautiful library. Looks like a place you could go and spend hours of enjoyment.
Thank you everyone. I'm always amazed when people already know about Willard and their ghost cam :-) I just ate breakfast with one of the librarians who does the ghost tours and she was getting ready for yet another interview on the subject! Willard is a wonderful llibrary with or without the ghost :-)
Wow!I love the detail in this building.My first thought was that it looked loke some European building.It reminded me of the buildings available for my husband's model railroad.
My goodness, that Library is just gorgeous. Such wonderful carvings. Thanks for taking us along on a tour.
Shhhh! :) Great start to showing your world, I love books.
I always regret that with the large number of visitors for memes like this that I don't get to leave individual replies, but I thank all of you for stopping by to see part of my world!
Really enjoyed the post and I'll check out the ghost lady link.
Beautiful photos of that library, it looks so inviting..
I enjoyed your more recent photos below that the blue in that lake is gorgeous.
What a beautiful old building, thanks for the great tour
Thanks Sandy!
Brit' Gal Sarah: Thanks for stopping by!
This reminds me so much of the Thomaston Opera House!
What a beautiful building! thanks for sharing this with us!
Thanks for dropping by my corner of this world!
You have showed a very beautiful place, makes me wish to spend a few hours there.
Beautiful building and you've captured it so well. Thanks for sharing and also visiting my world. :)
Thank you everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed one of my favorite libraries. It's a terrific place to browse and relax.
What a gorgeous structure! You just don't see buildings like that anymore! Very beautiful.
Oh I love the photos and especially the link to the ghost..I have a paranormal blog and my everyday blog so I will certainly check out that link.
I didn't do the meme this week, I wanted to check out the types of things that others were doing first. I have some great ideas for next week, so I hope to see your posting then
I love these photo of this beautiful library, the details of the architect
Thanks everyone and Patty you definiely need to join the fun! I didn't know what anyone would post either but I sure had fun reading a lot of them!
What a spectacular building! And with all your superb photos I now feel that I have been there :) Thank you for sharing.
That is a great set of photos of what must be just the most wonderful library to visit and to check out books and to look for the ghost looking over your shoulder. Thanks for stopping my my blog for MY WORLD TUESDAY.
Joann
Great My World Tuesday post! Wow, what a gorgeous library building!
What a fabulous building, and you've conveyed it so well in your photo essay. I'm glad libraries are a part of your world.
Post a Comment