Saturday, October 18, 2008

Something other than birds....mostly :-)

I get embarassed to always be asking if anyone can recognize a bird and usually from a very poor photo! This lone mystery duck was swimming too far away for a good shot.... I don't think it is a Mallard female.....the bill seems really short.
I was hoping to be able to crop close enough to see more detail, but this doesn't look much better. Frustrating!
Ann in New Brunswick just told me its a Grebe! I've never seen one.
My favorite black ducks.....one has a feather problem today.

There were Mallards on this lake, but they were not with that lone duck in the other photos.

The meadow is changing so much right now......grasses and dead plants, very little color other than the grasses.

Plenty of grasshoppers of all sizes! I wonder where they go in the wintertime?

I liked these grey colored empty seed heads. Don't know what plant, but I thought they were attractive. Probably all those yellow daisy-like flowers from earlier in the summer.

Only one or two little patches of purple flowers left!

I decided to take the woods trail for a change looking for color. So many fallen leaves already, but little color to be seen.

A few orange leaves hanging over the creek area.

Another bridge to cross.

A nice puffball! There were pieces of what must have been a really big one that someone had destroyed.....would love to have seen it whole! Must have been the size of a dessert plate at least. This one is more tea cup size.

Just tree trunks.....but I like their lines.

I love the fungi on this fallen tree limb!

It had such neat patterns! I don't know if this is the top or the bottom since the limb had broken and fallen downward. Whichever side.....it was cool!

A very wet looking turtle that must have just climbed out of the water.......in time for me to take a few quick shots and then he saw me and jumped back in. Made me feel very guilty for disturbing him!

14 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Mary, your mystery duck is a Grebe! You can probably identify which one from your Sibley's. Maybe a new lifer for you?! Very neat.

Congratulations on the Mockingbird. I added a Junco yesterday but my October bird list sadly remains to be quite under stocker. Its not a good time of year here for feeder birds; most of the regulars and transients have now moved on south and our winter birds haven't shown up yet.

The path that takes the bridge through the trails must be beautiful. I love little bridges like that. Have a great day; its a glorious time of year!!
ann

Mary said...

Ann: Oh good! A grebe. The grebes aren't with the other ducks in the book and I didn't see the photos, but now that I look it has the "fluffy" sides that I can see in the photo and the dark back! Cool! My photo was just too unclear for me to see details, but the short bill seemed to stand out the most. Thanks as always! You are right that I've never seen one. Too bad it isn't my pond...I can't count it :-(

Anonymous said...

Its certainly a Grebe of some kind Mary, but not one of ours over here. Beautiful Autumn scenes.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, its a Pied-billed Grebe. They are similar to our Little Grebe over here in that they like small ponds as well as larger areas of water. You took a lovely walk in the woods, wish I could have joined you! (-:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I agree that is a Pied-billed Grebe, they are abundant in our area in summer.I especially love the path through the woods across the little bridge,it just begs one to come investigate.

Rose said...

Mary, I for one am glad you post the birds you don't know and ask for input. I really don't know a lot of birds; especially the different ducks/swimming birds and the different hawks. I really think I am going to start searching for good book on birds of prey.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: what a neat little Grebe and a lot of neat nature photos. I really like the turtle.

sandy said...

So I definitely learned something, that this is a Grebe.

I LOVE those photos with the footbridge.

and that tree with the fungi...

great photos today Mary.

Mary said...

I'm glad this is so unanimous because it is a "life bird" for me! I think I added another one today....we saw what I believe is a coot...another lifer for me! Maybe I'll learn these water fowl yet! You all are so wonderfully helpful! I don't get any of these odd water fowl on my little home pond....only when I go to the wetlands or somewhere else, so I don't see enough to learn them easily.

Becky said...

Such great fall shots Mary. There is always so many changes to photograph. I eally like that turtle.
I like the fungus too. We even spot them on our cut up wood.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lovely place for a walk Mary, very, very pretty. I love the fungi, interesting shapes and you did photography the top side of it. Grasshoppers go underground for the winter.

Mary said...

Becky: I don't seem to see a lot of different types of fungi, but they are always so interesting when I do find some.

Joan: Thanks! The wetlands has become my favorite walking spot....it's got a little of everything with water, meadow and woods.

Eve said...

Thanks for taking us on your walk Mary...way to go with the grebe!! All wonderful photos!

Kathie Brown said...

Mary, how wonderful to see that little pied-billed grebe! I read all the comments where others have confirmed it for you. Glad you can add it to your life list,if not your home pond list. I agree with everyone else too--love the photo of the little bridge in the woods!