Saturday, November 1, 2008

A beautiful day in 2 parts.....

It was such a beautiful day yesterday that I went out to see what looked new. I was trying to find where the "star" has his nest and this may be it.
This gave me a view through the trees, also of the bean harvest....about time!

After the beans were harvested 2 vultures began circling over the bean field. (I wasn't in my yard when I saw this, but it would have been clearly visable from my yard if I'd been there....do I get to count it in the October count????)


I decided to sit by the pond and just enjoy the pretty trees and watch for last minute birds

Mouse decided to join me....which is highly unusual.
(she needs her back shaved of mats again....darn)

The persimmon tree looks ripe! Now if I can just figure out how to get them!

I decided it was too nice a day to stay home, so I went to the wetlands.

Spotted 3 wild ducks on the lake and realized that they were not Mallards.....not with those huge bills! Northern Shovelers, I assume! Another new one for my life list! I think this has been the best year ever for adding to my list!

I wish my photos were better because I was fascinated by those huge bills.

They stayed as far away as possible on the other side of the pond.

One swims alone.....

On the far bank was a turtle and I could not tell what type it is. Is Tom the Turtle man out there??

The local ducks did not seem to want the 3 Shovelers around and kept quacking at them. Is this a seige underway?

It drives me nuts to see this black duck with that one feather sticking out! I'm just itching to pluck it out or fix it or something!

The brown one nibbled at some greens.
I headed back through the meadow to the woods and creek.
I belive this is a Juniper? There are several small ones growing in the water along the boardwalk and their color was bright today!

Everything in the meadow is dead looking.....but still interesting!

In the creek there was a flock of about 15 Mallards.

They were really doing the "bottoms up" thing and it became a challenge to try to get them all doing it at once :-) 6 up was the best that I saw out of the 9 that were close together.

As I shot photos of the ducks, I didn't realize until I got home that there was wonderful color on the water from the tree reflections. I am still playing around with cropping them, but hope to post a few of them in my next post. The water was at times green, orange, and yellow with all sorts of lovely rings and tree squiggles. It's a good thing that I somehow capture things like that unawares, because I never seem to see them until I get home on the computer!
(to be continued)

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love the "bottoms up" one Mary. It seems like you had a wonderful, peaceful day.

Aren't computers wonderful things!! What did we do without them?? It is so often they show us things that we never notied with the eye. I remember one time I took this picture of a butterfly and only when I saw it on the computer did I notice the mantis with it. I must get to post those shots sometime, but everytime I want to, I find something more interesting. LOL!!

Let us see if I can avoid posting this twice!! :)

Rose said...

Mary, that bottoms up one is priceless! I love the others as well...one of these days we are going to head down there to that area. Well, to the bluegrass area..

NW Nature Nut said...

I think you should add the Turkey Vulture to the list. Don't tell, but the Canada Geese I saw were while I was walking down our street. I added them, for the same reason, technically I would have seen them from my yard :)

Mary said...

Joan: I always find things once I get the photos on the computer that my eye didn't really see. I hope you post those shots some time!

Rose: I do hope you come down sometime! Contact me if you intend to come and maybe we can meet. My email is mvfreeman@juno.com

NW Nature Nut: I did put the vulture on my list, but don't know if it got added into the total or not. Too bad all the water fowl I see are on other ponds and not mine :-)

Cicero Sings said...

What a great day in the wetlands! One has to take advantage of those nice days ... especially at this time of year.

Becky said...

Gee Mary I think you take wonderful pictures BUT I know how it is when you want a new camera. That thought just won't go away. If I see Santa, I'll put in a good word for you.
Those ducks shots are perfect, and you certainly do get some unique poses.
Love the turtle too. I haven't seen any around here. I think they are all asleep for the winter.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Oh must say I really love your shots, especially the dunking ducks.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love the picture of the pond.Looks loke a woinderful place to sit and dream.

Eve said...

Great Shovelers Mary!! I love the grass and all the duck butts!! Your pond looks wonderful too!

Mary said...

Becky: I'm usually happy with the camera I have, but when I have to go to the digital zoom trying to get closer to something it loses its clarity and that frustrates me...especially if I don't know for sure what I have until I get home!

Thanks everyone! I hope we get rain some day and the water at both the wetlands and our pond comes back up to normal. I think the ducks were mostly in the creek at the wetlands because half the lake there is dried up right now.

sandy said...

That lake photo with the chairs in the foreground wow!!! Lovely photos.

Tom Arbour said...

Mary-

If I had to guess, my guess would be red-eared slider, but I can't be certain.

Tom

Mary said...

Sandy: It's a nice place to sit, but I don't see too much activity from there.

Tom: I knew you would at least have a guess! Thanks! For some reason I thought the shell looked smoother and the nose pointier, but that is probably just my lousy zoom distorting it. I don't usually see turtles over on that bank.