Monday, October 27, 2008

My World Tuesday.....University of Evansville

It's Tuesday again! More of My World posts from all over the world.

I decided to feature some photos of a place in my town that is very important to me.
The University of Evansville, is the reason that I have now lived in Evansville, Indiana for the past 38 years!
The University of Evansville is a small private liberal arts school. Originally founded in the town of Moores Hill as "Moores Hill Male and Female Collegiate Institution" in 1854. It was decided that because there were no colleges near Evansville.....the 3rd largest city in Indiana...that it should be moved here and renamed "Evansville College" in 1919.

In 1967 if became the University of Evansville.

It was wonderful to visit the campus and remember how lovely everything looks there.
Statistics: 100 acre campus
Appoximately 2000-3000 students.
Very good engineering and nursing programs, well known drama department, great liberal arts education.
Oversea's campus in Grantham, England....Harlaxton College
Great atheletics program including many years of outstanding basketball teams and baseball and soccer teams.
Best known former Evansville Aces basketball player: Jerry Sloan, now coach of the Utah Jazz.

One thing that you see lots of in Indiana are limestone buildings made from Indiana limestone quarried up around Bedford. It makes for a lovely campus full of mostly old limestone buildings like the Administration Building shown here.

When I was a student here I never noticed how beautiful all these carvings are!

I couldn't believe this large unusual shaped tree was still there! I remember it from when I was a student!

The Engineering and Science Building where Mike and I both had most of our classes....he in engineering, me in biology.

And last, but not least....Neu Chapel, where we were married on the day after I graduated!

A really beautiful chapel both inside and out.
Well, that's your peek at the University of Evansville!


Look for more great My World posts by clicking the icon on my sidebar or at the top of the post.
Join in the fun and show us your world!

31 comments:

Louise said...

This is really a nice post. I love the buildings! And when we're young and in college, the beauty of such things often slips by us! The tree is fantastic. I can imagine it is lined with students when the weather is good.

Rose said...

Oh, Mary, loved this post. Love that tree!

2sweetnsaxy said...

So, we get to the end of the post to find out why this really has a special meaning for you. How sweet! :-) These were great shots. I just love the feel of colleges with history.

Mary said...

Thanks, all of you! It really is a beautiful campus and it was nice to go back and visit and see how little it had changed in some ways....new buildings, but all the old ones looking just like I remembered.

Unknown said...

It looks like a wonderful place to study

Becky said...

Thanks Mary for this bit of Evansville history. That is a beautiful campus, and that old tree is certainly unique.

Arija said...

Thank you for the tour of your university which you obviously love and which has such deep life association for you. The old buildings are lovely and that old tree an absolute gem.

me ann my camera said...

This is such a beautiful campus. We were also married in a beautiful chapel on a university campus. You live in a lovely area.

EG CameraGirl said...

Lovely campus. I can see why it means so much to you. ;-)

Eve said...

Thanks for sharing your world Mary...it nice to get to know you more each and every day!

John Theberge said...

That sure is a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful Mary. It looks a nice place to be.

Cathy said...

Looks like a beautiful campus. Thanks for sharing.

The Birdlady said...

My 2 brothers-in-law went there...and I've never seen it - till now.

AphotoAday said...

What a grand old school...
Had to chuckle at the old name: "Moores Hill Male and Female Collegiate Institution"...

Mary said...

Thank you everyone for your nice comments:

Ann: Another thing we share in common! I bet yours is beautiful,too.

Helen:Really? I'm glad I showed you at least a small part of it. Are they engineers?

aphotoaday: I thought the name was pretty funny, too!

kjpweb said...

Great! That looks like a quaint little University! A great MyWorld Post!
Cheers, Klaus

Roses and Lilacs said...

Mary, that's a beautiful campus. I love that old tree too. Bet that low limb is a great place to sit.
Marnie

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Love your post and I'm so glad you are on board and this is a great start. What a neat campus, and you know I will show KSU as I move along.
I have fished the Cuyahoga River but I am actually a lake fisherman from my boat.

Inkivääri said...

So beautiful - I love old houses and chapels.

imac said...

Great post, but the most amazing thing is -- we have your outpost of Uni of Evansville just 3 miles from my own Town of Grantham Lincolnshire at Harlaxton Manor.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wonderful to see these places Mary. They must bring back many lovely memories for you. :)

Linda said...

Love the pictures and the history.
I love old buiding. What a lovely place to have had your wedding.

Anonymous said...

I love college towns. This one is certainly "your world" in many, many ways.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone, it was great revisiting my college and where I got married! My World is giving me opportunities that my regular blog doesn't :-)

Imac:Wonderful! Small world! I was hoping it might be near one of the British readers who visit. They didn't become affiliated until after I graduated, so I never had the opportunity to go there. Maybe as grads Mike and I can join a tour sometime!

April said...

Beautiful pictures of the university and campus - fantastic limestone buildings! I didn't know Evansville was so big. I enjoyed getting to see more of your city. Also wanted to mention that amazing tree - it looks like it's resting on an elbow.

Carletta said...

Hi Mary,
This was truly a wonderful post! I love old limestone buildings. My son's college in Virginia was like that.
Your photo of the Admin Building is beautiful!
I bet it was wonderful to find the tree still there.
The chapel is also beautiful - would have loved to see the inside.
Thanks for sharing your special memories with us.

Kerri Farley said...

What a beautiful chapel! This place sure has wonderful memories for you!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone. Evansville is a city of about 130,000 people. I'll have to make sure I post a more about the whole city for My World. I live outside the city and mostly just post the nature stuff that I love:-)

sandy said...

Nice tour!! I enjoyed it. I visited Indiana once several years ago with a friend.

Celeste said...

Lovely post, that is an amazing tree.