Monday, October 6, 2008

Blue Grass lake area.....

Mike and I drove to the Blue Grass stripper pit lake area again. It was late in the afternoon, so in some places I had problems with light. I'm going to split this into two parts. Today's part is basically stuff in the water. Even in the shadows the lakes look lovely.

We tired to shoot the little minnows.


I liked the reflections of the trees, but can't wait until there is some fall color.

Mike spotted this tiny little frog and took this shot.

.....I tried for a closer view, of course!

The tall grasses around some of the lakes were really pretty in the sinking sunlight, but I didn't capture it very well. These grasses are taller than I am!

I could not identify these birds. I thought they were killdeer but don't see any black neck bands....young ones perhaps?

Can't identify this guy either! It was far off and I got the best shots I could. It seemed to swim very low in the water....mostly a neck sticking up.

The bill appears yellow and maybe a crook at the end.....Cormorant? I didn't even think we had those around here!

Wide grey wings. Maybe someone who sees this sort of bird all the time will recognize it.

One of the lakes had half-dead lotus or lily pads all over it. Mike took this shot of the tall ones....

.......and I took this one of the low ones.

I was trying to capture how the water drops looked on the leaves.

The water in the center of this dead leaf was really strange looking.

I liked all the curves and reflections here.

Mike shot the pods. I didn't get any good shots of them.

One Great Blue Heron in a distance. These little lakes are really nice, and more and more I want a boat of some sort!

More tomorrow or later tonight. We are leaving town again early Tuesday morning, so I will need something to post before I leave :-)

18 comments:

John Theberge said...

Looks like a very nice place to visit with abundant wildlife, great shots.

Eve said...

Great pictures Mary. You might have some American Pipits there just passing through. I'd like to see what others think. Also looks like a double-crested cormorant. Keep em coming!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That water looks so nice and clear Mary. I would struggle to find anything like that here. It looks like a lovely place to spend a day.

Anonymous said...

I must say we have less to look at around here than you do there. My backyard right now is bleak at best.

Your photograph is, as usual, very nice to see.

Unknown said...

Great pictures, I could see the minnows.

Mary said...

John: Thanks...you'd love being out there in your kayak!

Eve: I'm not familiar with pipits. Could be! I just had a feeling with the location that they were something like killdeer. If that other is a cormorant, it certainly isn't normal around here, that I know of. This series of lakes probably attracts a lot of birds passing through. That was one reason we went there yesterday, but it may be too early yet.

Joan: Well, I don't see any lions and hippos like you do :-) It really is a nice little series of lakes made on old mining land.

My backyard just has the regulars for this area, but I do keep the feeders full :-)

Tom Arbour said...

Mary- Your frog looks like a Blanchard's Cricket Frog. This species is in decline. A very good find.

Tom

Cicero Sings said...

You managed to find so many interesting things on your day trip! Can't help with the birds though that one did look like a cormorant.

Mary said...

Tom: Great! If I had known it was in decline, I would have inspected it a bit more closely for details. Mike always spots these little things while I'm gazing out over the whole lake :-)

Cicero: You would love kayaking there. I will have to visit there more often.

2sweetnsaxy said...

These are great shots. Looks like the kind of place I would like to hang out and reminds me a little of the lake up by me.

Mike said...

Great post Mary, looks a great place, the black bird is definitely a cormorant of some type.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,

That is definitely a Cormorant and from what I can see from the distribution map of the various sub species in America it could be a Double-Crested Cormorant.

Rose said...

I think we might have to try to find this place...it looks very interesting. Great photo series.

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: I hope to spend more time here. Especially during bird migration times1

Mike and Roy: Well, I'm glad that all the people who usually see them are in agreement! I believe this is a "life bird" for me! The small lake it was on, was very unaccessible....probably why he was there! I was trying to shoot from a roadway that went close to the lake.

Rose: If you come this far south, you had better look me up! Just don't come this week...I'll be gone :-)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pics,love the reflections.Yes the Bird is a Double-crested Cormorant.We see them here all summer.

sandy said...

Nice photos. I love those lily pads..

DeniseinVA said...

An excellent series of photographs, always a pleasure to come here and see all the goodies you have to share. So much fun to go along with you.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Another neat set of photos. you do a great job with nature.