Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More of my wetlands walking....

My last two trips to the wetlands have included several "mystery birds". As I was in the parking lot ready to leave, this rather large bird flew across the lake and meadow and landed in a tree about 100 yards away. I didn't think I would get much of a shot, but at least I can see its shape.....however that didn't help me identify it. I don't have a clue what sort of bird it is. Some just have to remain mysteries.
This one was so far at the top of this tree over my head that all I got was an underneath view....again, I have no idea what it was, but I doubt it was anything very exotic.

This one I could tell by its actions even before I finally caught a flash of red......a Flicker. This poor tree has several large holes in it that I'm sure he has contributed to.
He sat there posing for me, but at a fair distance. I could see his black vee when he turned this way.
Back in the meadow I saw this Praying Mantis......something I don't usually see at all! He certainly blends in with the surrouding grasses. No wonder I don't usually see them. Having said that, I saw another one on Monday when we were at Blue Grass.
His back......I tried to get him to get on my finger.....
...which caused him to jump to these other taller grasses giving me a much better shot!
This little Nuthatch was on the same tree with the 2nd mystery bird, but I could tell his identity by how he acted. I wish they all were this easy! He has a seed in his mouth and I have another shot of him flying away....still with the seed in his mouth. I guess he didn't find a suitable place to hide it.
Goose soup
Walking through the woods the trees were reflecting on the water.
Maybe a rather messy squirrel nest?
Why do turtles like to balance like this??? All his feet sticking out.
A little fall color above the turtles here. We are finally get a bit of color and I hope if I get another sunny day, to take some photos.

17 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

We all need there mystery birds and critters to keep us on our toes Mary. Lovely finding the mantis. They are very difficult to spot.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: A fun walk at the marsh. Those turtle are just drying out after all that water.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Those mystery birds can be frustrating.We have a whole category on our computer,just for unknown birds.:( I do like the Mantis shots.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

Another great walk Mary. I can't help ID those birds either. You have some different ones from us.
That turtle picture is priceless! Wonderful stretch!
Not raining here today, but cold! 45ยบ at noon.
B.

Becky said...

I forgot to mention how much I like the antis shots. Cool ! I've not seen one here. All we see are the occsional Cicada.
I'm wondering too if something got into that squirrels nest? Does look messy. Maybe a leftover from another time..
B.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, it's good to be back! For once, I don't think I can help with the mystery birds, sorry! Lovely Praying Mantis, I wish we had those over here, they look facinating! I think the turtle was drying his legs off in the sun! (-:

Mary said...

Thank you everyone....glad to know why the turtles stick their legs out like that. They always look so funny! I do wish that I knew what the first bird was....it looked so large for the distance and such a long tail. Probably nothing exciting, but it sure caught my eye.....too bad I was leaving at the time and he was so far away. Maybe I will see it again sometime.

Mary said...

I just looked at my post from last Thursday at the wetlands and that Hawk I saw then looks a lot like the shape of this mystery bird, so I bet it was the same hawk.

Anonymous said...

Great shots as always Mary! I think the shape on your first bird looks hawk-like. But I have no idea exactly what it is. I LOVE the praying mantis shots! I have been wanting to photograph those for so long. I have yet to see a single one since I got a better camera, which is so disappointing. Occasionally they used to climb on the brick of our house. So I was hoping for one this year, but so far nothing. Are all of yours up there green with brown coloring? I know there are different kinds of mantis, and maybe they even look different at different times? I don't know. But around here I've never seen one with any brown on it at all, like your photos. All of them that I have seen locally have been a solid green. I love to watch praying mantis they are so interesting. I haven't seen one in a few years though.

Eve said...

Hi Mary,
You got all kinds of fun going on here. I believe your first mystery bird is either a Sharp-shinned or Cooper's hawk. The second one looks like it could be a young robin...with speckles under its chin. Then you got something fun going on here with the woodpeckers. The first one is a Red-bellied and the second one is a flicker!! Did you blink!! hahaha! They must have payed the ol switcharoo when you wernt looking! And that turtle!! How slilly!
This was fun Mary!

Mary said...

Debbie: Each mantis I have seen has been both brown and green and really blended with the grasses it was on. I've seen plain green ones before and they were smaller. This one is quite large....5 or 6"?

Eve:If it is a hawk, it is one of the ones with a really long tail. It must be a trick of the light, because I'm pretty sure the woodpecker was the same one the whole time. I'll look at my other photos of it.

Anonymous said...

Seeing the snake reminds me I am in a country renown for snakes, all my walks, even around the tombs and temples I have never seen one in its natural habitat, I have had the snake catchers trying to get money to show me their catch, but I have no interest in that as I already have photos from that awful zoo in Cairo. there is also one somewhere on my blog of a snake charmer outside the temple of Komombo,
but I want to shoot my own.
now saying that I must not tempt fate, the last time was last night after seeing the cobwebs on my way home I decided today was a day for spider shooting . "yep" I got me some. plus complaining a few weeks ago about butterflies, got me some of those also.

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like the turtle has a tummy bug with all that weed in the water. you have got some real nice shots and a nice variety.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

You are getting some color, Mary... Pretty!!! Crazy turtle---doesn't look very comfy, does it???

I enjoy watching our Northern Flickers also. Your have about pecked that entire tree... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Life in Egypt: I hope you find the snakes in the wild....always exciting to find something new.

Betsy: I always thing the turles can't be comfortable, but I guess they know best :-) Any tree growing out in the water at the wetlands ends up dead like this. My favorite "eye of the needle" tree finally fell down. I'll miss it.

Lindy said...

Oh my - Goose Soup! And almost turtle soup in that last shot. Really like your photo of the trees reflecting on the water. Very soothing. You always see the most interesting things!

Rose said...

I was thinking the first is some type of hawk. I sure enjoyed these shots....one of these days I want to make it down there to that Bluegrass Area.