Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hawk cry.....

This was new for me. This hawk was circling overhead and making a cry the whole time. I've never heard a "noisy" hawk! Doesn't that make it a lot harder to catch anything??After he landed at the top of this tree he continued to cry very loudly.
You can see his mouth open here.

It was enough to make this goose who was swimming by itself, decide to go somewhere else....although it did honk back a couple times.

I tried to capture the cry, but just caught a quick sample. I don't know how to get rid of all that other noise...wind?

11 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You do have to wonder why they do this.I agree that any prey would disappear quickly.Hope your day is going well.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

The hawk obviously wanted everyone to know he was around, although I can't imagine why,

Mary said...

Thanks! It was really strange, because I heard the hawk before I saw it and that just seemed so unusual.

Becky said...

Was he calling to another Hawk to show his territory, or was he squawking at you. Anyway nice catch.
B.

Lindy said...

Odd kind of funny that a hawk might scare away a goose but I guess anything is possible. Looks like the hawk was way, way, way up there!

Rose said...

Great captures!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

He was probably looking for a mate Mary. I love the sounds the raptors make.

Eve said...

This is great Mary! The video sounds great! Looks like a Red-shouldered Hawk. Is that what you think?

Eve said...

I just checked my Thayer Field Guide and it sounds just like one too!! They are noisey!!

Mary said...

Thank's Eve! I thought that was what he probably was. I've never heard one being noisy before, so it was quite startling to me. He may go hungry, if he doesn't learn to be a bit quieter :-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I have almost mastered the whistle because of the Osprey pair calling to each other. Neat show.