Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sulphurs....

When I see a Sulphur butterfly I have no idea which one it might be.
I had the feeling I was seeing two types.....two different sizes, but I really can't tell and all the photos look like the same kind. I like seeing them on the purple flowers
I seldom see the inside...this was as close as I got. They don't sit open. At least never in front of me!
Yellow against yellow...couldn't decide if I liked the combo, but it sure makes the purple flowers stand out :-) Lots of light on this one......
.....later I saw some with the light shining through them.
They were dancing and mating all over the place........a pair in the flowers....
....a pair blocking the path....

....the following shots are a pair "courting".




Anyway.......lots of Sulphurs everywhere!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are lovely shots Mary, we have a similar species named "Clouded Yellow".

Dorothy said...

Pretty butterflies and hard to photograph. Good job!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

These are really delightful Mary. You have been capturing so many beautiful butterflies.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You got some amazing shots of these.It is interesting to see the difference in colors.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Roy: They are probably Clouded Sulphurs, but I'm never sure, so I just stick with Sulphur to be safe. Having a butterfly book hasn't helped me much.

Dorothy, Joan, Ruth: Thank you for the nice comments. There were so many butterflies around last weekend, that I took hundreds of shots. One more day of butterflies and I'll be done :-)

George said...

I don't think it matters if you captured one or two varities. All the pictures are wonderful. I saw a sulphur on a purple iris this morning, but by the time I got my camera it was gone.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We have more Sulphurs here than any other type this year, Mary. At least, they are the ones I see the most. Your photos are amazing. Thanks so much!
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I see lots of sulfurs around here, too. And no, they never do sit with their wings spread open. I would probably faint if I saw one!

Becky said...

They usually are pretty fast. Good job Mary.
B.

Eve said...

There sure are a lot of yellow types Mary! It's so wonderful to see them this time of year! There's already talk of snow up north where I used to live. I think the butterflies are all but gone up there.

Leedra said...

The yellow sulphurs are so hard for me to id. The last photograph even looks like 2 different ones to me, but they are mating, so what does that mean? I do love them, but I try so hard to id them, and still cannot. Got some wonderful photos here, it is so hard to capture a sulphur with the wings open.